What breed is she?

She’s a blue OEGB. The blue on her looks different because it’s the “proper” laced blue that you see most often in show quality blues.
Would you say that she is show quality? I really want to show my chickens but there are no shows anywhere near me and apparently I am to old to she them in 4-H lol. Also, do chickens have to be pure breeds to be shown? I just bred this hen with my black mottled Japanese bantam roo and I wondered if that would make anything show worthy lol

Would you say that she is show quality? I really want to show my chickens but there are no shows anywhere near me and apparently I am to old to she them in 4-H lol. Also, do chickens have to be pure breeds to be shown? I just bred this hen with my black mottled Japanese bantam roo and I wondered if that would make anything show worthy lol
I don’t believe she is, but you could still show her for the experience. Normally you can’t enter a mixed bred, but if any nearby shows are offering showmanship I believe you can use any chicken for that, including mixed breeds.

I don’t believe she is, but you could still show her for the experience. Normally you can’t enter a mixed bred, but if any nearby shows are offering showmanship I believe you can use any chicken for that, including mixed breeds.
Oh okay! I probably won't do any shows for a lot of years but it is something I really want to do so maybe one day I will get a couple of show quality birds! Thank you for you help! And maybe I will train my new chicks a bit to see if I could get them to be good when handled!

I've seen one or two mixed breed birds entered at a fair. That would be an interesting mix. If she has mottled in her genetics I think that means the chicks would show up mottled. But the chicks bred to a mottled you might be able to get blue mottled. I didn't hatch the eggs from my bantam cochin hens or bantam easter egger that were fertilized by my silver blue cockerel before I rehomed him because I was afraid I'd have a harder time rehoming cross bred cockerels even though cross/mixes are usually healthier.

I've seen one or two mixed breed birds entered at a fair. That would be an interesting mix. If she has mottled in her genetics I think that means the chicks would show up mottled. But the chicks bred to a mottled you might be able to get blue mottled. I didn't hatch the eggs from my bantam cochin hens or bantam easter egger that were fertilized by my silver blue cockerel before I rehomed him because I was afraid I'd have a harder time rehoming cross bred cockerels even though cross/mixes are usually healthier.
She was not supposed to carry mottled but her chick sure did come out mottled!

Back
Top Bottom