What breed is she?

flora

Chirping
10 Years
May 6, 2009
Near Grants Pass, Oregon
I was given this hen and told she was a Delaware, but she doesn't look like the Delawares in the pictures, so is she a crossbred or some other breed?
30495_delaware_hen_6-15-09_007.jpg

I also was given her companion, which I was told is a Jersy Red, is this a breed?
30495_jersy_red_6-15-09_013.jpg

Hmmm, i havent seen a delaware like that either. Does she have green legs? I think the red might be the breed they said she is.

That ain't a Delaware. Not even close.. Cross or mix maybe.

Never heard of Jersey Reds.. either they got the name wrong, is a project they are doing, or was just trying to get rid of those.. seems plausible if they insisted on the other one being a Delaware. Anyways that one kind of looks like a hatchery stock Rhode Island Red or a Production Red but could be a sex link of sorts(basically a cross done for purposes of easily sexing the chicks at hatch and for good egg production in the cross hens).

Quote:
hmm, it just doesn't look to have the body of either sexlink or rhode island red, it does sort of look like some hatchery Jersey giants i've seen... then "Jersey reds" I would expect them to be a cross between rhode island reds and a black (or white ) Jersey giant, then people throw the name together to make it seem pure, and sell faster. since most people you can be honest and tell them the exactly what they are. and if it says their a "(insert a name here) crossed with a (Insert name here)" a lot of people will say "Ahh, Well they're pretty" and keep walking.

Thanks everyone. That is pretty much my thoughts on these hens, they are pretty, healthy, friendly and fit into my flock just fine. I don't really care what breed they are as I just wanted the eggs from them, but it is nice to know what my chickens are.

If the first one has white legs I would say wheaton maran would be the closest.

The second one could be a Jersey red, I read something about them in the SPPA thing one time, they used to be popular but now only pop up as throwbacks from time to time. Google it and read some more about it.

Back
Top Bottom