1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What breed is this and why is her tail pin feathers bleeding?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by luvussomechicks, Dec 10, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. luvussomechicks

luvussomechicks Out Of The Brooder

May 11, 2012
    Well, I have this new hen. I hope it's a hen anyway. I need to know what breed is this. Plus, I found some of it's tail feathers have been pulled out. Last week, when I first visited the hen where it lived, it didn't have any tail feathers. I just thought it was normal. But when I picked it up, noticed that the tail feathers were bleeding. Is it alright? It's suppose to be an exotic breed.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. TurtlePowerTrav

TurtlePowerTrav T.K.'s Farm

Jul 29, 2012
    Oregon City, OR
    My Coop
    That's a rooster, Don't know why the pins are bleeding, Pulling them out at the base will stop it though. It is a little painful, but they wont bleed out

3. chicknnugget

chicknnugget Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 18, 2012
    Mooresville NC
    Maybe she/he is some kind of Easter Egger. It looks fluffy around the face like my Americana hen. Not sure why her tail feathers are bleeding. Maybe something attacked it? Where did you come across this bird? Was it just loose?

4. luvussomechicks

May 11, 2012
    My thoughts are that it is a roo because of the long neck feathers. But I thought some breeds' hens would have that look as well.

5. TurtlePowerTrav

TurtlePowerTrav T.K.'s Farm

Jul 29, 2012
    Oregon City, OR
    My Coop
    The pointed hackle and saddle feathers are the give-away. Also the red color on the wing bows are a boy thing.

6. luvussomechicks

May 11, 2012
    Someone I know ordered a group package of brown egg layers. I came with one exotic. All were suppose to be pullets. You know how that goes. But she was in with 24 pretty nice hens.

7. Pele

Pele Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2011
    Boise
    Handsome rooster, I bet his tail was something beautiful. Rooster tails are often the first targets in a predator attack because they are so noticeable and flashy. He's an Easter Egger.

8. maidenwolfx80

maidenwolfx80 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2012
    missouri
    Looks like an EE roo to me, nice coloring

9. debid

debid Overrun With Chickens

Jan 20, 2011
    middle TN
    x2

I've heard that rats will pull and eat feathers from roosting birds at night. It could also be that he wasn't the only young rooster in the pen and the other rooster was after him.

BTW, a certain hatchery is well-known for sending EE roosters as a "free exotic chick with purchase".

Last edited: Dec 11, 2012
  10. luvussomechicks

May 11, 2012
    Positive Id! Faverolle rooster! Bleeding better now!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by