What breed is this bantam hen??

ChickenCharmer

Songster
10 Years
May 2, 2009
The Redwoods of California
I was thinking OEG but I got her from Ideal which doesn't have any breeds with this patterning. She could also be Dutch, which Ideal sells in a similar variety as this, but she lays pure white eggs. Any guesses as to breed and especially variety would be greatly appreciated.

30083_file228n0.jpg

Looks like a dutch to me. Not sure on the color, though.

Dutch have white earlobes and OEGB have red lobes. Also, dutch lay white to off-white eggs while OEGBs lay brown.

Last edited:
Did you pick her up at a feed/farm store, or order directly from Ideal? White lobes says not to OEGB, but pattern doesn't look right for a Dutch either. Is it possible that if you ordered directly from Ideal that they drop-shipped the birds to you?

It's not Japanese, it doesn't normally hold itself like that. normally the tail is horizontal. Yes, it was shipped directly from Ideal, but my dad ordered them, so I don't really know. Here are the possibilities from the receipt:

ASSORTED LIGHT PULLETS
ASSORTED KRAIENKOPPE PULLET
DUTCH MILLE FLEUR BANTAM ST R
RED QUILL DUTCH BANTAM ST R

I thought it was most likely the Red Quill Dutch, but it still seems strange... you can't really trust the receipt, though, because I got plenty orders mixed up by Ideal.

And, cyanne, I read somewhere it was the other way around with the earlobes of Dutch and OEGB's...

Back
Top Bottom