What breed is this Banty hen?

janelle18

Songster
7 Years
Apr 3, 2012
Ontario, Canada
My Coop
My Coop
Just got this hen dropped off. I wasn't around when she got dropped off and I said to just leave her in the barn. I couldn't find her for forever and finally it occurred to me to look up!

Any idea what breed she is! I put her in a pen with my 9 week old chicks and she is much smaller than all of them!

She looks very similar to the one in your picture!

Do OEG lay very many eggs/often?

I don't know what to expect from this girl!
No OEG don't lay a lot of eggs, usually, although they can be productive over a short season. They are mostly ornamental birds having been traditionally been bred to be game (birds shot for sport). As a bantam she will lay very small eggs.

However, they usually make great broodies and can have very fun and interesting personalities (although a bit more flighty than your regular chicken liking to roost in trees and such).
big_smile.png

Lady of McCamley

No OEG don't lay a lot of eggs, usually, although they can be productive over a short season. They are mostly ornamental birds having been traditionally been bred to be game (birds shot for sport). As a bantam she will lay very small eggs.

However, they usually make great broodies and can have very fun and interesting personalities (although a bit more flighty than your regular chicken liking to roost in trees and such).:D

Lady of McCamley

Thanks! It would be funny if she went broody , she would only be able to sit on 1 or 2 eggs!

Back
Top Bottom