What breed is this barred hen?

From the pictures Id say rock but they are a bit blurry so does she have a single comb or a pea comb? if its a pea comb she is most likely a Dominique.SP? they have pea combs I think. other wise single comb is a BR here is my 1 and only hen peaches shes a BR.....

Dominiques have rose combs, Looks like a Dom.
Here is mine, she lays a light yellowy brown egg (i just hatched 2 sexlink chicks from her and have more eggs in the bator!!)

My hen is almost a year old, so I'm guessing she would have a full comb by now. I will try to get a better picture of her comb tomorrow and will post it.

Anne

She most likely has some Barred Rock in her background, coming from a hatchery, making the rose comb thin like that. I had a hatchery Silver Laced Wyandotte that had a thin rose comb like that.

shes a pure dom. coming from a hatchery she's not going to be the best quiltey and will eaither have a few faults or a lot of faults but she is pure not mixed with anything

Can anyone tell me what breed this hen is? She came from Ideal poultry. She lays brown eggs.

Thanks,
Anne

Dominiques have rose combs, Looks like a Dom.
Here is mine, she lays a light yellowy brown egg (i just hatched 2 sexlink chicks from her and have more eggs in the bator!!)

WOW guess I sdidn't realize that in body type the Doms, and BR are quite similar.... I don't know why, I was thinking Doms were slighter of build????? Kim

WOW guess I sdidn't realize that in body type the Doms, and BR are quite similar.... I don't know why, I was thinking Doms were slighter of build????? Kim

Dominiques are not supposed to have the same build. There should be about 2 pounds of difference along with the body shape/proportions. The barring is different also (a rock has crisp, true bars while a Dom has more jagged/fuzzy lines). Well-bred examples of each would be obviously different but when you look at hatchery stock, it's not going to be the same as SQ.SUBMIT

i find that hatchery stock is roughly the same build/shape in doms and br but with this you have to think hatcheries are more concerend with laying abilty over all rather than correct sop. most hatcheries will admit that their chickens represent the breed and are pure breed chickens (with the expection of amereicanas which are ee's but i think with this they are breeding true americana's to one another thus they are still amereicana's but they dont repersent a reconized color thus they are called ee's)

Back
Top Bottom