What breed is this chick?

Ducks4FFA

In the Brooder
Mar 14, 2016
Spring, Texas
I bought 4 ducklings today, and identified one as Mallard, one Black Swedish, and one as a Khaki Campbell. However, the fourth one I haven't figured out yet.
I was thinking maybe Muscovy, but all my chicks have crests, and I don't know if Muscovy can have crests.
30kgemp.jpg

Can anyone identify this little guy/gal for me?

I agree it looks like an Ancona.

I'd just like to point out that a baby duck is called a duckling, not a chick. A chick is a baby chicken. There is also a breed of chicken called an Ancona. I just wanted to mention this since if you google something you will get better results using the correct term. Good luck with your new babies.

Could be a very poorly marked ancona or a magpie.
I'm leaning more towards magpie as anconas generally have markings under the eye, and that one is extremely heavily marked.

If it is an ancona, then I would not recommend it for breeding. Because it is so closely colored to a magpie, it would be a disqualification as well as the fact that it has a crest which is a big no no with anconas.

Cute all the same though. Those crests are always adorable!

Gah, I don't know what they are, Magpie or Ancona. They seem fairly similar, both being good egg producers and excellent foragers.
After reading about crests more, I don't plan to breed them, as it seems cruel. None the less, they're certainly a cute one!
Thank you guys for the help, I truly appreciate it :)

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom