What breed is this chick

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by jafelkins, Feb 23, 2017.

1. jafelkins

jafelkins New Egg

Feb 23, 2017
    We bought this baby and three others a few days ago and for the life of me cannot remember the breed. Does anyone know? It has a lot of feathers on its feet. [​IMG]

2. Yorkshire Coop

Yorkshire Coop Moderator Staff Member

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop
    Hi :welcome

Glad you could join us here! What a cute chick :D There are many breeds with feathered legs but could it possibly be a Cochin? I'm sure of you pop by the what breed gender section members there will be able to help you ~ https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/15/what-breed-or-gender-is-this

Good luck for the future and enjoy your time here on BYC :frow

1 person likes this.
  3. rebrascora

rebrascora Overrun With Chickens

Feb 14, 2014
    Consett Co.Durham. UK
    Hi and welcome to BYC

It's not a great photo as the angle doesn't show it's comb and the light and shade doesn't help with identification but I would say it has to be a Cochin or a Brahma. Do either of those sound familiar? Or perhaps a Marans but they usually don't have as much feather on the legs and feet as the other two. A Marans and a Cochin would both have a single comb. I think Brahmas have a pea comb but don't quote me on that....

Last edited: Feb 23, 2017
    1 person likes this.
  4. jafelkins

jafelkins New Egg

Feb 23, 2017
    [​IMG]
    Here's a better picture. The lady had no clue how old they were.

5. N F C

N F C dem crazy bones Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    [​IMG]

I'll defer to the experts as to breed but just want to say, that is one cute chick!

1 person likes this.
  6. Teila

Teila Bambrook Bantams Premium Member

G’Day from down under jafelkins [​IMG] Welcome!

I too will have to defer to the experts on this one but also just wanted to say that your little one is adorable!! [​IMG]

I hope you enjoy being a BYC member. There are lots of friendly and very helpful folks here so not only is it overflowing with useful information it is also a great place to make friends and have some fun. Unlike non chicken loving friends, family and colleagues, BYC’ers never tire of stories or pictures that feature our feathered and non feathered friends [​IMG]

7. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    darling chick but, can't see if it's got a pea comb or straight comb- cochins & brahmas have a lot of feathering on feet

8. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Hello from Kansas and [​IMG]! Great to have you aboard! Looks like you've received a ton of great advice so I'll just say best wishes and thanks for joining BYC!! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by