1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

what breed is this chicken

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by mustangsaguaro, Jun 3, 2011.

1. mustangsaguaro

mustangsaguaro Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 30, 2007
    San Martin, Ca
    Yesterday I was given 2 young cockerels because the person can't keep them as he lives w/in city limits. I am thinking of keeping him and the other one that came w/ him. And getting rid of my other 2 roosters that are black stars. Need to know the breed of one of the new guys. I believe one is a polish but not sure what the other one is. The one in question is w/o the top hat on his head. I believe the guy in the foreground is a polish, but if someone can confirm that would appreciate it. This guy got these chickens at tractor supply.

[​IMG]

Thanks

2. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    The one in the back is a Ancona

Chris

3. mustangsaguaro

mustangsaguaro Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 30, 2007
    San Martin, Ca
    Thanks for the clarification. I am now wondering if I am correct on the breed of chicken w/ the top hat. Am I correct is he a polish or could he be another crested variety? I noticed that he had 5 toes. What crested breed has 5 toes?

Kim

4. greenSearcher

greenSearcher Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 22, 2010
    Texoma
    Houdans have 5 toes, a crest and are mottled black. [​IMG]

5. akcountrygrrl

akcountrygrrl Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2010
    Nenana, AK
    Looks like a mottled Houdan and an Ancona to me. Should be beautiful boys.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by