1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What Breed Is This Friendly Hen?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Erin~TheChickenLover, Jul 20, 2011.

1. Erin~TheChickenLover

Erin~TheChickenLover Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2011
    Arkansas River Valley
    This is my friendly little hen. Her legs are grey and she has a pea comb (I think). She has large tail feathers compared to her body. She lays a medium sized white egg almost every day. She is small compared to my barred rock but not a bantam (I don't think so anyway). We rescued her and she is probably about 2 years old. Does anyone have any ideas what she might be? She has me stumped!

[​IMG]

2. ginbart

ginbart Overrun With Chickens

Mar 9, 2008
    Bloomsburg, PA
    I"m sorry I can't tell you what kind she is but I can tell you she is beautiful. [​IMG]

3. smarsh

smarsh Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2009
    lexington, KY
    she is almost certainly an EE but apparently not one that lays blue/green eggs

4. SaraFL

SaraFL Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2011
    Jacksonville, FL
  5. Erin~TheChickenLover

Jun 28, 2011
    Arkansas River Valley
    Thank you! I love my little girly. All of the other chickens we rescued from the same place are easter eggers, so maybe she is one who just lays white eggs.

6. akcountrygrrl

akcountrygrrl Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2010
    Nenana, AK
    Yep, a pretty Easter Egger. They can lay any color of egg from white to blue/green to brown to "pink". That's part of why they are so popular. Not only do you get a wide variety of colors in the birds themselves but you also can get a wide range of egg colors.

7. Erin~TheChickenLover

Jun 28, 2011
    Arkansas River Valley
    Sara, the birds we rescued with her have beards and muffs and look almost exactly like those! She does have a little bit of a beard and muffs.

8. Erin~TheChickenLover

Jun 28, 2011
    Arkansas River Valley
    Thanks and neat! She is a special little girlie!

9. Lothiriel

Lothiriel Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Aug 30, 2007
    New York State
    My Coop
    She is a beautiful EE! Can't wait to see what color eggs my 2 will lay. [​IMG]

10. sunnyvera

sunnyvera Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 4, 2010
    NE Ohio
    Erin~TheChickenLover :

This is my friendly little hen. Her legs are grey and she has a pea comb (I think). She has large tail feathers compared to her body. She lays a medium sized white egg almost every day. She is small compared to my barred rock but not a bantam (I don't think so anyway). We rescued her and she is probably about 2 years old. Does anyone have any ideas what she might be? She has me stumped!

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/98009_juneedited.jpg

I have a hen almost the same looking - sold to me as an EE from a hatchery. She laid an olive green egg as her first a few days ago. Yay, an Oliver Egger and I didn't even expect it. Her sisters have not started laying yet.​

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by