Sexing bantam mix chick

Nov 26, 2021
Hi! I have this chick that was hatched on the 20th Jan. She’s a mix of god knows what, but came out of a bantam egg. She has 4 siblings that hatched on the same day, 3 are hens with very obvious large tails and little to no combs. The other one has a large-ish comb and is growing a cockerel tail

But what is she? I genuinely can’t tell, her tail is growing more like a hen but she has a large comb. It grew later than the cockerel though, one of the last if I recall correctly. Tail took ages to grow though, and as seen is still very small.
FB2859A2-30ED-4067-9E81-84A6B6713827.jpeg

56305730-67E5-4546-9DB1-8266B3C1C1E7.jpeg

would feather colours say much as she isn’t a sex-linked breed?
It can actually say a lot. That rust color "she" has is very typical in males that are crossbred. It's uncommon to see females with it. The feather pattern is also colorful and uneven, another crossbred male trait. Females tend to have more toned-down colors and uniform patterns.

Chicks don't all develop at the same rate. He's just a late bloomer compared to your other obvious cockerel.

ohh i see! that’s very interesting
I’ve had chicks before with these rusty colours who turned out to be hens, although this chick probably is a cockerel (that was my initial guess). I guess i’ll just have to wait to truly know

Back
Top Bottom