What breed is this Hen?

littlepeeps81

Songster
7 Years
May 22, 2012
Central Kentucky
Just wondering if there is anyone out there who could tell me what breed and color this hen is. My husband purchased her from a woman who buys chicks from hatcheries. The woman we purchased her from called her a game hen, but that is all she could tell us. She is a small bird, and lays a small cream colored egg. I do not know the difference between game birds and bantams, as I am new to chickens. This hen is not very friendly. I have tried to find other birds on the net to compare her to, but I have not had much luck. Some birds that I have found have a similar body, but are not the same color or sport a different type of comb. Maybe she is just a mix breed chicken. Any info. would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
idunno.gif

Sorry, I posted this thread in another forum earlier. I am new to backyard chickens, and when I found this forum I thought I might have better luck finding out what she is here. Thank you.

Last edited:
Just wondering if there is anyone out there who could tell me what breed and color this hen is. My husband purchased her from a woman who buys chicks from hatcheries. The woman we purchased her from called her a game hen, but that is all she could tell us. She is a small bird, and lays a small cream colored egg. I do not know the difference between game birds and bantams, as I am new to chickens. This hen is not very friendly. I have tried to find other birds on the net to compare her to, but I have not had much luck. Some birds that I have found have a similar body, but are not the same color or sport a different type of comb. Maybe she is just a mix breed chicken. Any info. would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
idunno.gif

Sorry, I posted this thread in another forum earlier. I am new to backyard chickens, and when I found this forum I thought I might have better luck finding out what she is here. Thank you.
Im not good with game birds but my guess is she is one. Bantams is a size type game bird is a breed. There are LF and bantam games.

Thank you so much Jferlisi and Juliechick. This information is most helpful. At least I have some idea now of what she might be
smile.png
I had seen some photographs of Old English Game Bantams on the net, and wondered if she might be one. But, I could never find one that had the exact same color markings as she has.

Below are a couple of pics of some of this hen's offspring crossed with a Gold Laced Red Wyandotte Rooster. I wanted to try my hand at incubating chicken eggs, so I decided to try incubating some of our hens eggs first. The dark colored chicks are her offspring at 3 days and 4 1/2 weeks. Kind of cute for little barnyard mixes!

Anyway, thanks again guys for the help!
big_smile.png

Pretty little game hen. In my (admittedly limited) experience they aren't the friendliest, as you stated, but the most self suffecient. They're also decent layers, good brooders and great mommas.

Don't you just love the little mixed chicks? I have a gold laced hen under a black sex link rooster and think I got a little blueberry chipmonk looking chick--will be watching to see how it turns out!

Donrae, you are right. She does seem very self sufficient. She is smart and does lay very well. Her eggs are a beautiful cream color. She just is not very found of humans. All my other birds adore attention and being petted, but not Fiesty!

Yes, I do love my little barnyard mixes! I think sometimes mix breed chickens can sport some of the most beautiful colors and patterns. Right now we have crossed our gold laced wyandotte rooster with a golden comet hen and a rhode island red hen as well. Their chicks are adorable too!

Back
Top Bottom