What breed is this hen?

I wish I could get $45 per bird! Folks around here think I'm crazy asking $20 for a point of lay pullet.....

If you're looking for chicks, it's kind of a bad time of year but you might try someplace like My Pet Chicken. They specialize in small orders. You might also consider going with someplace with a minimum of 15, brooding them to about 6 weeks then selling the excess.

Just to add my 2 cents. Here are a couple photos of hatchery wyandottes like yours (single combs are fairly common in un-culled breeding groups), followed by a quality bird of breed standard. While hatchery birds can be just as nice as pets and should lay fine, they will not necessarily have the classic plump round shape or the delightful docile personality that well bred/selected wyandottes should have. Also remember that the little comb close to the skull is a major contributing factor to the breed's winter-hardiness. The large, single comb of your bird will make her prone to loose heat as well as a likely candidate for frost-bite on the tips. You can coat the comb with petroleum jelly in the winter to keep it from freezing, but she still may not lay as well during the winter due to the (even minor) heat loss. Just some things to consider.

PS: With regards to pricing, donrae is right that around here $45 would be impossible to get. Last week at the Oregon Poultry Swap in Corvalis, my quality blue-laced red pullets were selling for $25 and that was as high a price as most any bird there (one of that batch pictured below). There was one lady with jubilee orpingtons that she had priced at $75 per bird but I don't think she sold any.

Back
Top Bottom