What breed is this little Peeper?

Galaxionic

In the Brooder
Apr 4, 2017
As you guys know I have two ducks. One is Obviously a Pekin, i.e. the yellow. But I'm trying to figure out what breed my little brown guy is. He is the one that had the bad leg and I have been trying to figure it out since I got him which was about a month ago.

78be416fff9e0539ed58dc59e446a67e.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Aw, what cuties! I'm glad they have a loving home in you, and I'm glad little man is recovering.

I'm thinking either Khaki or Cayuga. It seems almost a little too brown to be a Cayuga, but that's awfully dark for a little Khaki too...The Khaki babies I see at TSC tend to be a little lighter, but Cayugas seems to be special order there. Runners too (I tried getting some little runners from TSC once, was told I'd have to buy 25 of them lol).

I guess you're either going to get a lot of eggs or a lot of kind of weird-colored eggs! Haha

Do you have a recent photo? At a month old a new photo would be alot more helpful. Looks black in this picture.
At a month you shohkd be seeing feathers now.
If its still brown.. is it solid brown? Or have pattern on it?
My chocolate runner ducks are pure dark brown
Khaki campbells have a lighter pattern/ penciling on the feathers

Do you have a recent photo? At a month old a new photo would be alot more helpful. Looks black in this picture.
At a month you shohkd be seeing feathers now.
If its still brown.. is it solid brown? Or have pattern on it?
My chocolate runner ducks are pure dark brown
Khaki campbells have a lighter pattern/ penciling on the feathers
This is the most recent, I got them the new tote tub that same day and as soon as I moved them into it I took this picture because the lighting was decent enough to catch his color. Yesterday I had them outside and in the bathtub for a little swim, and he did lose a tail feather but I'm not saying he's starting to get his adult feathers yet until I see more.

Yes he does have a bit of a penciling pattern, you can really see it when he's preening. It's like the feathers aren't as dense and you can see somewhat of a dotted like pattern where the feathers are. I'll try and get a better picture of him tonight when I get home from work and clean the tote to see if it helps you all.

@Tenrec Lol yeah, Cayugas are a rarity for in store shipments. They have to be ordered like quail or pheasants. Nine times out of ten we get Khakis and Pekins and not much else. You're Pretty lucky if you get a Ruen or a Mallard. I've been there three years and we've only ever gotten a very small shipment of Mallards in.

This is actually the most recent, taken yesterday when I took them outside before their bath. I'm estimating that he is a month old; he was at TSC for a week before he got hurt. Then I took him home and had him in rehabilitation for a week before we had the next shipment of Pekins, and I got my little yellow. It's been two weeks or so since I got the Pekin, so I'd say my little Peeper (brown) is a month old give or take.

Only looks like maybe -3 weeks old. maybe he wasnt quite a week when you got him
Looks just like a khaki campbell to me :)
By four weeks you would be seeing quite a bit of new feathers
Or mine did anyway.

Thank you!! I've been trying to figure all of this out lately, I was more focused on his health earlier than anything.

Also, are they supposed to walk kinda with their legs turned inward? He had hurt his elbow before so i was wondering if it could be from that. He swims and walks fine sometimes but then he stands with it turned in.

Shouldnt be too turned in.
What are you feeding? Are you adding niacin? Or brewers or nutritional yeast?
They really need this for healthy growth.
Without it they tend to have leg problems
If you arent i would be sure to get some today.
I feed - nutrena all flock
And add 1 tablespoon nutritional yeast per cup of feed. They need this until 10 weeks .

Back
Top Bottom