What breed is this please?

What a shame. Only up side is that your son will have learned some valuable lessons. Might pay off in the long run!

flyingmonkeypoop,
I was really hoping to find "adult" chickens that wouldn't need to be kept warm or in a brooder. Plus, getting chicks now would be too young at fair time, . . . at least that is how I understand it.

I don't even know what would be a good price for a pair. IF (and that is a big IF) the chickens I bought were purebred (and we now know they were not), was $20 per pair a good price or a bad price? I definitely think it was a bad price now knowing that they are mixed. But if they were pure?

Also, I don't know what to do with these mixed chickens now. I certainly cannot sell them for as much as I bought them since they are not pure. I cannot keep them, because I will need their pen when I find a purebred pair for my son (if I don't just give up because of the bad experience). I only wanted a pair for my son to show at fair. And the only reason why I bought 2 pair is because I felt sorry for them because the seller had the chickens all crowded in a small place and they were pecking each other bloody. That should have been a big warning flag for me, I guess, that he was not scrupulous.

I feel really defeated. But I will get over it.

Good point. Around here some people sell mixed bantams for about $10 but you can get purebreeds alot of the time for that price too. For just a 4-H fair chicken I wouldnt pay more than $15 for a hen and $10 for a roo.

I dont know what to tell you to do with them. Maybe advertise on craigslist 2 pair of mixed feather footed bantams, should make good broodies or something like that.

Along a similar thread of "can you identify" - we purchased 14 chicks (a split of a larger order) from McMurray Hatchery's "Rare Assortment" - now we are trying to guess what we got lol
We also got 7 Easter Eggers and 14 Bantams (a lot of variety there too!)
Is there a good site to view chicks in order to "compare"??
I have had chicks and ducks before but never anything that was supposed to be purebred and have no clue! The kids are sure enjoying them though!
Also, is there a guide of some sort that details growth expectations by age? Such as when wing feathers show up? Tail feathers, etc...
thanks
Lisa

dont feel down. this happens to ALL first chicken buyers...even me.
I bought some worn out layers that were sposed to be "fresh young pullets that just started laying!" woo hoo, I got them home let them out and 2 died that nite. I never got but one egg that week and finally just gave them away. I paid 12 dollars a peice and bought 6.
You could keep these as pets, and just buy you one new pair of show quality chickens. (remeber to check the breed standard before you buy!)

Well, the clipped wings would have eliminated the bird from the show as well.

What a shame. People who misrepresent and lie outright REALLY get me burning....
somad.gif

Oh my goodness! You mean clipped wings are bad for showing, too?!?! I talked with this man at legth. He knew exactly what we needed the chickens for and he used to show at the fair (or so he said -- don't know what to believe now.)

Anyone want 4 chickens??? LOL

BY the way, you guys are great about answering questions quickly. THANKS SO MUCH!

Back
Top Bottom