What breed is this pullet?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Pharm Girl, May 30, 2011.

1. Pharm Girl

Pharm Girl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2011
    I bought her from the local feed store in a bin marked 'Speckled Sussex,' but I have my doubts. I know they can speckle out later, but her feather color pattern is leading me to think she might be a Welsummer. I'm no expert on either breed. What do you think? She hasn't a speckle on her yet, the bright spots on her tail are sun in the first pic.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 30, 2011
  2. tinychicky

tinychicky Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2010
    Hollis, New Hampshire
    that's not a sussex. that's not a wellie, either they have slate legs, maybe a light brown leghorn? i can't see the comb too well, is it a single comb? it's those green eyes that are really throwing me off but i think she's a leghorn.

3. Pharm Girl

Jan 6, 2011
    I'm so bummed as I was hoping for a SS in the flock. If she is a brown leghorn, will she lay white eggs? I don't have a white egg layer. At least I would have something to be excited about.

Oh yeah, single comb I believe..

Last edited: May 30, 2011
  4. Chickenfur

Chickenfur Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2009
    On Earth :)
    she looks just like my brown leghorns, they lay really pretty white eggs!

5. jaimslee4u

jaimslee4u Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2009
    Maine
    Deff not a SS. Bummer!

6. Pharm Girl

Jan 6, 2011
    The worst part is, she's the most flighty and unsocial of my littles. I'll still do an egg dance when I see a pretty bright white egg. Maybe I'll have room for an SS or two next year. Chicken math strikes again!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by