What breed is this roo?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Sphinx, Oct 10, 2012.

1. Sphinx

Sphinx Chillin' With My Peeps

May 10, 2010
    Utah
    I somehow managed to accidentally acquire one of his offspring. The mom was a bantam sized light brown hen with a single comb, and I didn't think to take a picture of her. But, this guy is definitely dad.

[​IMG]

2. hdowden

hdowden Overrun With Chickens

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana
    looks like a langshan

[​IMG]

3. nurse_turtle

nurse_turtle Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2011
    Foothills of NC
    A lot depends on where you got him from.

4. cluckcluckluke

cluckcluckluke Overrun With Chickens

better pictures would help

5. ramirezframing

ramirezframing Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2011
    Knee Deep
    maybe a blue marans

6. Sphinx

Sphinx Chillin' With My Peeps

May 10, 2010
    Utah
    Sorry, my picture was really iffy, and I don't see it getting better anytime soon. He was donated to a local feed store a while back. About a month ago, someone dumped a few hens behind the store in the middle of the night. The rooster would come inside, but the hens were really skittish. A couple days ago, they realized the hens had hatched a bunch of chicks. They were worried about critters getting the babies, so when I was in getting feed last night, I offered to catch everyone and bring them inside. I kept one of the chicks, and another customer took a bunch more. Anyway, I was in a rush to leave because my "quick trip" to the feed store turned into a much bigger adventure than anticipated.

I googled both Blue Marans and Blue Langshan, and I feel about 95% confident the rooster is a Blue Langshan. The chick I adopted is a dead ringer for a langshan as well, except she's smaller (bantam mom at work there) and the leg feathering is so minimal I suspect she'll be clean legged as an adult.

Thanks so much!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by