What breed is this Rooster??

@JedJackson The Leghorn Club UK said he was British color standard and said he is perfect body and everything I would think they would be a hit for selling?
Their standard is a little different from ours in most respects. Taking poultry standards and shows out of the equation I think yes, they would sell well here as backyard chickens. But if you breed him to light brown Leghorn females, only 50% of the chicks will come out blue light brown, and 50% will be regular light brown. Even breeding blue light brown to blue light brown will only give you 50% blue light brown, with 25% regular light brown and 25% splash light brown. So only half of the offspring are going to have that unusual coloring.

Their standard is a little different from ours in most respects. Taking poultry standards and shows out of the equation I think yes, they would sell well here as backyard chickens. But if you breed him to light brown Leghorn females, only 50% of the chicks will come out blue light brown, and 50% will be regular light brown. Even breeding blue light brown to blue light brown will only give you 50% blue light brown, with 25% regular light brown and 25% splash light brown. So only half of the offspring are going to have that unusual coloring.
I understand @JedJackson my friend has a 3 month old Hampbar rooster would he better for breeding with the Brown Hens once they got older? Or would you go with the Leghorn?

Possibly. Still pretty old in my experience though to introduce to older males, and he's pretty young to defend himself if the male's take an issue with his presence
@JacinLarkwell so after the 2 month old Pullets got older could my Silver Ameraucana rooster handle 18 Hens for eggs be fertilized? Mr Jellybeans he's so gorgeous 😍

Attachments

• IMG20230815090540.jpg
    IMG20230815090540.jpg
    727.7 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG20230815090614.jpg
    IMG20230815090614.jpg
    969.2 KB · Views: 2
Maybe? Chickens are so different bird to bird. I have males that would probably do okay with 18 hens and others I'd be amazed if they could cover half of that.

My males hatch and grow up in the flock, so from day 1, males see and interact with new baby males and by the time that the young ones are learning their place, they know who is in charge

Maybe? Chickens are so different bird to bird. I have males that would probably do okay with 18 hens and others I'd be amazed if they could cover half of that.

My males hatch and grow up in the flock, so from day 1, males see and interact with new baby males and by the time that the young ones are learning their place, they know who is in charge
Well would 2 roosters be to much for 18 hens like over breeding @JacinLarkwell ?

Well would 2 roosters be to much for 18 hens like over breeding @JacinLarkwell ?
Possibly. Just depends on how aggressive they are breeding. For a while this year, I was able to get away with like 7 males and 4 females before they started to breed more as the weather warmed up. My mix flock often has 3 or 4 males and <20 hens, and yet I used to have a male in one of my pens that over bred hens no matter how many I kept with him

Back
Top Bottom