What Breed is this Rooster?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by HidingInTheHenHouse, Sep 28, 2009.

1. HidingInTheHenHouse

HidingInTheHenHouse Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2008
    Indianapolis
    I asked about him several weeks again, and opinions were mixed. He was sold from the hatchery as part of a mixed batch of roosters, so he should be pure bred something, but no one seemed to be able to tell what he is. Maybe now that he is older, it will be clearer. His legs are white. He is 21 weeks old.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 28, 2009
  2. ChickensInTheNorthWoods

ChickensInTheNorthWoods Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2009
    North East CT
    Looks like my Golden Comet roo.

3. Cuban Longtails

Cuban Longtails Flock Mistress

Sep 20, 2007
    Northeast Texas
    Pure bred mutt! [​IMG] Yes, hatcheries have "oops". They all do, no place is perfect. Stuff happens.

Call him an easter egger if you want to call him something. I can't really think of any particular breed that would throw that coloration with those colored legs. He is of a heavy egg layer stock, so that leaves out your mediterranean breeds, any game breeds, and asiatics (no feathered legs).

4. HidingInTheHenHouse

Jun 21, 2008
    Indianapolis
    ChickensInTheNorthWoods, do you have a picture of your rooster? How sure are you of his breed?

5. Dustin Biery

Dustin Biery Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2007
    Mulberry, Arkansas
    Not to tell you your business, but watch the zip ties on the legs. It looks like it may be getting a little tight and that can become a nasty nasty problem.

6. jwchicklady

jwchicklady Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2009
    Howell, MI
    he looks similar, but not the same as my ISA brown rooster--which is a mix between rhode island red and rhode island white. he could be a comet roo like the other person said, but looks definitely like a sex-link roo which is a mix.

7. HidingInTheHenHouse

Jun 21, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Yes, I think I will have to agree he is some sort of sex-link roo. Just wondered if maybe I could nail down exactly which type. It is very hard to find pics of the various sex-link roosters on the internet, and he doesn't match any of the pictures on feathersite. The black tail is throwing it all off. Could just be a mutt as well. Either way, I'm keeping him for breeding. He is very large already, and I was looking for a rooster that would breed larger sized chicks.

Yes, keeping an eye on the spiral bands (not zip ties). I have some larger sizes that just came in, so everyone is getting checked and moved up a size or two accordingly. I have had a couple of problems in the past, so I am very vigilant about checking them frequently.

8. catdaddyfro

catdaddyfro Overrun With Chickens

Sep 16, 2009
    Vernon Parish
    Tis is a sex-link male where they use a Light Sussex female for the silver gene carrier. Light Sussex has columbian patern and white feet.

9. HidingInTheHenHouse

Jun 21, 2008
    Indianapolis
    So, light-sussex female with what as the male?

By the way, he was entirely yellow as a chick. The only way I could tell him from the white rocks, were by his lighter legs.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2009
  10. catdaddyfro

catdaddyfro Overrun With Chickens

Sep 16, 2009
    Vernon Parish
    A RI red or New Hampshire most of the time its a production red.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by