What breed is this youngster?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by aratinga, Aug 1, 2013.

1. aratinga

aratinga New Egg

Aug 1, 2013
    This little girl was in amongst the Buff Orpington pullets I purchased recently. She's mostly white, with grey-blue legs and yellow skin. Now that her feathers are coming in I can see some buff colored hackles, but her body, wing and tail feathers are all white. Her comb is still quite small so I couldn't get a good picture, but it's definitely not the single comb that the Buff Orpingtons have; it looks like it's going to be a pea comb.

She's also by far the smartest, most curious, and most active chick in the bunch. I named her Dora, after Dora the Explorer! Thanks for any insights as to what she is!

Here's the summary of her traits:
    Comb: Pea
    Legs: Blue-gray
    Skin: Yellow
    Hackle feathers: Buff
    Body, wing, tail feathers: White
    Temperament: Smart, active, good flyer, dominant
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    The green legs and pea comb make me think that she is an Easter Egger.I think that it will be easier to tell what she is when all of her feathers are grown in (a few more weeks). Post more pictures then, and I'll try my best to help!

3. aratinga

aratinga New Egg

Aug 1, 2013
    Thanks for the quick reply! I was thinking the same (Easter-egger) - those green-gray legs! So if we're right, she'll lay blue or green eggs? Do Easter eggers lay other colors as well?

4. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Most Easter Eggers lay greenish or blue eggs. However, some Easter Eggers lay eggs that are a light shade of pink.

5. CowGrrrl

CowGrrrl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2013
    She is an Easter Egger. They lay either blue, green, blue-green, or (rarely) pink, tan, or brown eggs.

6. CCCCCCCCHICKENS

CCCCCCCCHICKENS Overrun With Chickens

Dec 3, 2012
    Indiana
    X2. Adn I dotn know why you said they rarley lay pink. I have had a lot in the past lay pink and currently have some laying pink eggs.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by