What BREED is this?

Tiwanda

In the Brooder
Sep 20, 2017
Virginia Beach, VA
This was supposed to be an ISA Brown Pullet. I am totally new at this, but it certainly does not look like my other 3. Any ideas? It is 5-6 weeks old and doubled in size when compared to my other 5-6 week olds. Huge thick legs too. Now, I am beginning to doubt whether it is even a pullet! Any info on this bird is greatly appreciated!

Attachments

• rb1.jpg
    rb1.jpg
    277.1 KB · Views: 12
  • rb2.jpg
    rb2.jpg
    345.7 KB · Views: 13
  • rb3.jpg
    rb3.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 17
Your 'she' is definitely a 'he'. As for whether or not it's a broiler... I'm not sure. Just this summer I raised a batch of layers and male meat birds simultaneously (but separated) and by 5-6 weeks old the broilers were closer to four times the size of the layers, (even a male BO) not only twice the size, and mine tended to have black wing and tail-tips. However, it is possible that the growth may be stunted somewhat depending on the protein content of the food. If you are able to maintain a rooster, I would wait and see what it turns into, it's possible you may get another fun breed!

P.S. Even if it is a red broiler, with proper management, they can usually lead a healthy life if you decide to keep them (unlike cornish cross) :)

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom