What breed is this

sammyg21

Chirping
Jan 3, 2016
Rocklin, Ca
We got this chicken as a chick from the local school, they hatch some every year. Any ideas on breed? (Chicken in the forefront)

Attachments

• 2D9E7EB7-36F1-4293-A42F-CB6EF9AC3036.jpeg
    2D9E7EB7-36F1-4293-A42F-CB6EF9AC3036.jpeg
    844.4 KB · Views: 12
Agreed that it is a cross. I'm not sure it has Buff Orpington in it though as Orpingtons should have white skin. Genetically white is dominant to yellow so a cross using a Buff Orpington should have produced a bird with white legs.

Agreed that it is a cross. I'm not sure it has Buff Orpington in it though as Orpingtons should have white skin. Genetically white is dominant to yellow so a cross using a Buff Orpington should have produced a bird with white legs.
Do blue Orpingtons have slate legs? I thought I’d ask you since you are the the Orp Guru!

It looks like my americauna. Feathering and face very similar. I'm new to chickens so no expert. Just thought I would throw that out there. Does she have any fluff around ears?

It looks like my americauna. Feathering and face very similar. I'm new to chickens so no expert. Just thought I would throw that out there. Does she have any fluff around ears?

I hate to say it, but I your ameraucana looks like that... yellow (or green) legs, no muffs or beard etc... then she's an easter egger, not an ameraucana.

Do blue Orpingtons have slate legs? I thought I’d ask you since you are the the Orp Guru!

Haha! Thanks, but I'm far from an expert on them. But yes, Blue, Black, Splash, Chocolate and Lavender Orpingtons have either slate or black legs and feet depending on which variety you're talking about. Some of the patterned Orps may not require white legs, but off the top of my head I know Jubilee, Gold and Silver-laced, as well as Red require white. The Mottled Orpingtons probably don't require white as the varieties are on darker ground colors that do not require it, but I'd have to double check on that.

Back
Top Bottom