What breed is this

Roxymom

In the Brooder
Apr 3, 2020
I got these chicks on March 20th. They told me they were Southern Ramblers which doesn't seem to exist. They have 5 toes and dark legs, they are starting to get some light feathering on their legs. I was told they came from the same hatch. The top one(Robin) was jet black and is starting to get lighter. Also has a black comb coming in. The bottom one(Himilaya) hasn't changed much in color. I have looked up 5 toe breeds but none of them seem to look like these. Any ideas? Also can anyone tell if these are Roos?
20200403_101122.jpg
20200403_101245.jpg
20200403_101405.jpg
20200403_101221.jpg

Attachments

• 20200403_101345.jpg
    20200403_101345.jpg
    278.8 KB · Views: 16
Where did they come from? Strangely enough, the feed store I work at just got a shipment of chicks that the hatchery sent only as 'pullets' with the same traits - black skin, feathered legs, five toes, most of them black in color.

I got these chicks on March 20th. They told me they were Southern Ramblers which doesn't seem to exist. They have 5 toes and dark legs, they are starting to get some light feathering on their legs. I was told they came from the same hatch. The top one(Robin) was jet black and is starting to get lighter. Also has a black comb coming in. The bottom one(Himilaya) hasn't changed much in color. I have looked up 5 toe breeds but none of them seem to look like these. Any ideas? Also can anyone tell if these are Roos?View attachment 2073859View attachment 2073860View attachment 2073861View attachment 2073864
Silkies

You're right I just assumed they were really poorly bred silkies but since they came from a hatchery I didn't immediately go to crosses.
Hatcheries will often have specific crosses that they give fancy names to for branding purposes. Sapphire Gem, Golden Comet, Midnight Majesty Marans, etc. Usually the point of said cross is to create either a sexlink or a coloured egg layer.

Hatcheries will often have specific crosses that they give fancy names to for branding purposes. Sapphire Gem, Golden Comet, Midnight Majesty Marans, etc. Usually the point of said cross is to create either a sexlink or a coloured egg layer.
That's true, certainly. I just wasn't aware of any hatcheries selling silkie crosses and that's the only breed I'm aware of with the distinctive black skin and 5 toes.

Where did they come from? Strangely enough, the feed store I work at just got a shipment of chicks that the hatchery sent only as 'pullets' with the same traits - black skin, feathered legs, five toes, most of them black in color.
They came from Tractor Supply. These are the only 2 I didn't get from the feed store. They told me they came from a hatchery. They had about 30 of these when I got mine. The one looks like an Ancona black but they don't have feathered legs or 5 toes. I was thinking silkie cross of some sort but they're not very fluffy and are 15 days old.

They came from Tractor Supply. These are the only 2 I didn't get from the feed store. They told me they came from a hatchery. They had about 30 of these when I got mine. The one looks like an Ancona black but they don't have feathered legs or 5 toes. I was thinking silkie cross of some sort but they're not very fluffy and are 15 days old.

Townline hatchery, I'm betting. That's where the ones mine from TSC came from. I already looked through all their birds and they don't offer anything like this. So my best guess is it was either a 'whoops' breeding, or they're working on some kind of new hybrid but haven't really put the info out yet.

Back
Top Bottom