What breed is this?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Vrune, Mar 4, 2009.

1. Vrune

Vrune Out Of The Brooder

Feb 10, 2009
    I asked the lady who sold me my eggs what breed of chickens she has so I could try to figure out what sort of chicky I've got. She told me that she has 3 roosters. A Buff Orpington, a Dark Brahmas, & a Light Brahmas. Her hens are Buff Orpingtons, Dark Brahmas, Light Brahmas, Salmon Faverolles, Black Australorps, & Araucanas / Ameraucanas.

Sooooo... Given that, can anyone figure out what breed/cross my three week old chick is? Also, how soon is it possible to tell if it's male or female.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. steffpeck

steffpeck Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2007
    Erda, UT
    I really don't know for sure, but based off of the choices, I would guess a Brahma. I would also guess that it is a pullet.

3. jossanne

jossanne Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2008
    Gila, New Mexico
    Were any of the eggs blue/green? That will answer one question...

There are no feathers on the leg of that baby, are there? And I'm thinking I see a straight comb? Is that right?

4. Vrune

Vrune Out Of The Brooder

Feb 10, 2009
    Quote:No, none of the eggs were blue/green. This one came from a kind of white egg with a few speckles on it.

No feathers on the feet, they're just plain yellow so I guess that would rule out the EEr too if the egg color didn't, right?

As for the comb, I'm afraid I'm new to chickens so I don't know the difference between comb types... What kind of combs are there?

5. jossanne

jossanne Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2008
    Gila, New Mexico
    Salmon faverolles lay a creamy tinted egg, not quite white, but the rest of the hens you've listed lay brown or blue/green eggs. So that seems to be the only hen possibility. They are bearded/muffed.

With the coloring, I'd guess dark brahma, but they've got a rose comb (which looks flat, no pointy bumps). They've also got feathered feet. The buff orpington roo has a straight comb (the classic kind you see in pictures, sticks up with a bunch of fingers on it) and no feathers on their legs.

So.... maybe that will help figure it out?

6. poultrykeeper08

poultrykeeper08 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2008
    Agawam , Ma
    Brahma have feathered feet . The chick in the pic doesnt

Last edited: Mar 5, 2009
  7. Firefly1v

Firefly1v Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2009
    FL
    I would say it is a Dark Brahma roo and a EE hen. The feather patterns look like both of them. EE hens don't always lay green/blue eggs. Depending what the roo is that the EE hen came out of the eggs can be tan, off white or pink. It looks like a pullet to me to.

8. Poulets De Cajun

Poulets De Cajun Overrun With Chickens

oops... guess that wasn't one of the choices..

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 5, 2009
  9. Dread Pirate Roberts

Dread Pirate Roberts Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 20, 2009
    NorCal
    Sure looks like an EE to me.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by