What breed is this?

Any updates? Have you given her any new flock members so she doesn't end up depressed? Take note of the fact that one rooster and one hen doesn't usually work out very well. Most roosters breed a lot, so the correct ratio of roosters to hens is 1:10 in order to decrease the chance of one hen getting over-bred. It is also good to have a stable pecking order, which this ratio does keep.

Hello swampprincesschick,
She is still around. She didn't leave. She seems to like it.
She is doing fine, she seems happy, she does her chicken things, she is funny.

I went by with what JedJackson said: "The problem with getting another chicken is that it likely won't be self sufficient like her. Another may join her in time but otherwise I might leave it alone in this case. She is practically wild."

So I let her chill and if she feels like leaving, she is allowed to. And i hope one day just like she came, a male will come. We shall see. Maybe she'll start calling when its time?

For now, here is a video i made earlier this morning:
https://streamable.com/j3dslo

What are your thoughts?

Also, I went to do some research after you guys told me its an American Game Fowl hen. I see most online are brown, i dont see a lot of these black a bit more athletic looking ones.
I guess when i look it up i get a broad spectrum, maybe i need to dig deeper.

I am on an island in the Caribbean, i start wondering how these got here. This island was spanish then it became dutch back in the colonial days. Did these arrive back then too? Or just a modern imported breed that managed to escape and live outside on their own? Because all around the island you have chickens and goats walking around..ofcourse not on the highways but its very common to see some bushes and "oh, there is also a chicken flock". Most homes with huge yards have chickens walking around too. To us its just Crioyo Chicken, "Native Chicken".
Now i found out it is an actual breed, thanks to you on this forum.

Hello swampprincesschick,
She is still around. She didn't leave. She seems to like it.
She is doing fine, she seems happy, she does her chicken things, she is funny.

I went by with what JedJackson said: "The problem with getting another chicken is that it likely won't be self sufficient like her. Another may join her in time but otherwise I might leave it alone in this case. She is practically wild."

So I let her chill and if she feels like leaving, she is allowed to. And i hope one day just like she came, a male will come. We shall see. Maybe she'll start calling when its time?

For now, here is a video i made earlier this morning:
https://streamable.com/j3dslo

What are your thoughts?

Also, I went to do some research after you guys told me its an American Game Fowl hen. I see most online are brown, i dont see a lot of these black a bit more athletic looking ones.
I guess when i look it up i get a broad spectrum, maybe i need to dig deeper.

I am on an island in the Caribbean, i start wondering how these got here. This island was spanish then it became dutch back in the colonial days. Did these arrive back then too? Or just a modern imported breed that managed to escape and live outside on their own? Because all around the island you have chickens and goats walking around..ofcourse not on the highways but its very common to see some bushes and "oh, there is also a chicken flock". Most homes with huge yards have chickens walking around too. To us its just Crioyo Chicken, "Native Chicken".
Now i found out it is an actual breed, thanks to you on this forum.
I assumed you were in the U.S.. She's probably still a game fowl hen, though. Pretty much every country in Europe, Asia and Latin America has their own local version of game fowl chickens. These are birds that are or were once used for cock fighting. They often go feral in areas with warm climates.

I assumed you were in the U.S.. She's probably still a game fowl hen, though. Pretty much every country in Europe, Asia and Latin America has their own local version of game fowl chickens. These are birds that are or were once used for cock fighting. They often go feral in areas with warm climates.
Yes, I assume its same way as with game bred bulldogs, where you got american version american pitbull

There in the video I put some beans in the blender with eggshells and poured it for her.
Is she looking good?

nice, i did cook them first indeed

is it OK to sprout beans and throw the sprouts to here?
corn and like sunflower seed sprouts?
I'm not sure about bean sprouts, but the other kinds of sprouts are fine. Beans have some kind of chemical that's bad for them. It leeches out when cooked. Just about any other seed is good. I give mine melon seeds often and they love them.

I'm not sure about bean sprouts, but the other kinds of sprouts are fine. Beans have some kind of chemical that's bad for them. It leeches out when cooked. Just about any other seed is good. I give mine melon seeds often and they love them.
nice
well its good to know
means i can give the papaya seeds and pumpkin/squash seeds too

thanks Jed!

She's a young gamey, probably went astray as a chick with her momma. She could be the sole survivor of he clutch. Being that she was raised in the wild, she knows all the dangers of island life (mongoose), etc. etc. I would get roo of her nature, if it's not a huge burden on yourself. I :lovethat hen.

Being that she was raised in the wild,
There's no way she could be raised in the wild. Wild chickens do not exist because the definition of wild is "(of an animal or plant) living or growing in the natural environment; not domesticated or cultivated." Chickens are a domestic species because they were bred into existence by humans, meaning none of them can ever be wild. The correct term would be feral.

Back
Top Bottom