1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What breed is this?

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by E-AK(TM), May 29, 2011.

1. E-AK(TM)

E-AK(TM) Out Of The Brooder

May 29, 2011
    I have two heritage turkeys but i have no clue as to which breed they belong to or if they're mixed. this is the Tom. could someone please help to identify .
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

i'm sorry but the pics aren't all that great

Last edited: May 29, 2011
  2. Lagerdogger

Lagerdogger Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2010
    Aitkin, MN
    The shiny body, barred wings, and light creamy tips on the tail coverts and the tail reveal a standard bronze base. The golden color of the wing coverts suggest a single red gene, but I can't quite tell if the wing coverts are gold or grey. A standard bronze with a red gene would be a red bronze, but they wings and coverts should be a little darker. Perhaps it has a single grey gene that's lightening the coverts and secondaries. Does the hen look the same?

My guess would be standard bronze with a red and grey gene. This is a guess.

3. E-AK(TM)

May 29, 2011
    [​IMG]
    here's a better pic
    the hen looks kinda the same

Last edited: May 29, 2011
  4. Lagerdogger

Jun 30, 2010
    Aitkin, MN
    Maybe now I'm thinking no red gene. I thing the red would darken the cream tips of the tail coverts. Maybe a bronze wih a grey gene. You could test this. If they are both bronze with a grey gene, and you breed them, then 1/2 of the offspring would look like the parents, 1/4 would be bronze, and 1/4 would be Oregon gray.

5. E-AK(TM)

May 29, 2011
    guess you were right with the red gene cuz 1 outta the 3 poults are red.

6. Lagerdogger

Jun 30, 2010
    Aitkin, MN
    Yes,

after seeing your poult pictures, it is clear that both your tom and hen carry at least one red gene. They are probably red bronze and I just couldn't decide what color was showing through.

Could you put up a picture of your hen? It would be educational for me.

7. E-AK(TM)

May 29, 2011
    I'd probably have to wait until she gets off her eggs, but i'll post one when i can

8. E-AK(TM)

May 29, 2011
    lagerdogger pics of the hen
    they arent that great though.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    she's more chocolatey than he is.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by