What breed is this?

I have a large white bird I call Camilla and she looks like them with a few minor differences. She is a Cornish X Cochin... I bet these are Leghorn x Cornish mixes which is why they are big for Leghorns but small for Cornish
wink.png

81805_camilla8weeksside.jpg

This is her at 8 weeks and she is much bigger than the other chickens

I agree as well, if these were meaties, it would be really easy to tell. They'd be constantly eating, not moving much (sitting more often than standing) , and very VERY fat.
I think there's at least a little leghorn in there. Perhaps someone was trying to make a duel purpose bird?

They are Cornish Cross. If they have been fed a lower protein diet and made to exercise, they don't grow as fast. I've got two right now that are 8 months old and about 12 pounds, they are the same size as my Plymouth Rock hens but a lot more heavy when you pick them up.

There is certainly no Leghorn in those birds, Leghorns are very small-framed with large combs, they do not have those thick legs or wide chests.

Cornish Cross are a hybrid. Tractor Supply would likely carry them. They should have been in their own bin, clearly labeled as what they were, but...they get mixed up pretty often, or mislabeled. There could very well be non-purebred chicks in feed store bins, as they are ordered from large hatcheries, and sometimes they ship out birds that are not purebred but advertise them as being so. (I've got two hatchery 'Cochins' that lay white eggs and have the wrong kind of tail) But there would not be a mix between a Cornish Cross and a Leghorn, they are generally not even bred on the same farms when you're talking about mail-order mega-hatcheries.

Back
Top Bottom