What breed is this?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by wolfie115, Oct 14, 2011.

1. wolfie115

wolfie115 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 12, 2011
    So last year was my first year with chickens. I bought some chickens really cheap from a bird show and was told that they were bantam barred rocks. I'm familiar with standard barred rocks as a friend of mine has a bunch of them but these guys don't look like them. The hen was really light in her color, and at first the rooster looked like a barred rock but as her got older his plumage changed into this:

[​IMG]

And this is the hen:
    [​IMG]

I also have this chick that hatched from this year, she's out of ^that roo and one of my OEGB hens. Any idea on color?
    [​IMG]

This is the mom, I don't know her color either.
    [​IMG]

2. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Not overly versed on the bantams. But.....

The top roo looks half Barred Rock. The "reverse" of a Black sex link, almost, or perhaps even a BSL type roo. Not pure BR.
    The next hen is also a BR mutt of some kind. Not pure BR. Very hard to say what else is in the mix. Still, she'll likely be a great layer and you'll be quite happy.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2011
  3. hdowden

hdowden Overrun With Chickens

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana
    the roo looks more of a mix the hen does appear to be br but if you got them from the same person and he is indeed mixed i would be suspect of her to. as far as the chick goes it looks like it has lacing which would mean that eaither mom or dad has lacing in their background (i am no gentics expert and thats just my guess)

4. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    The top one is a black sex link rooster. (mix of a roo with a barred hen) The 2nd one would be a mix - barred rooster with a non barred hen as barred hens only pass the barring onto their sons in crosses.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by