What breed is this?

McAfeeFam

In the Brooder
7 Years
Apr 25, 2012
Arizona
We still haven't been able to figure out what breed our rooster is. He has a rose comb too.
Any ideas?

welcome-byc.gif

Being able to see his head and comb would sure help, but from that body color and dark legs he's definitely a mixed breed bird.

He came from MurryMcMurry. I don't think they sell mixed breeds do they? It's possible he was the free rare bird with our order.

He came from MurryMcMurry. I don't think they sell mixed breeds do they? It's possible he was the free rare bird with our order.
Murray McMurray hatchery does sell mix breed chickens. Most production breeds are mixes (like the Red Star, Black Star, and Production Red) and almost every hatchery offers them. I agree with donrae, though what breeds of chickens did you order?

Last edited:
You could always send a pic to MMM, but I'm guessing he was the free "rare" chick and they'd call him an Ameraucana, which means he's an Easter egger. Not sure which other breed he'd fit. With that split comb, he could be the worst bred Buttercup I've ever seen, I guess. You could always try breeding him and see what color eggs his pullets lay, that could give you a clue to his genetic make up. Breed him to a white egg layer, if the pullets lay white eggs he's a buttercup, if they lay green or blue he's Easter egger.

Back
Top Bottom