What breed is your favorite in your flock?

Wow! Thanks for sharing this! I guess I didn’t even think about how being a super egg producer would put them at risk. Thank you!
No problem! I didn't realize this either until I went through it. I wouldn't say don't get these chickens if you really want to because they truly are lovely, but I think you would have to be prepared to cull them when they get sick. It's kinda hard to get a chicken knowing there's a really high chance she'll get sick and suffer in a few years though, so it may just be easier to go with a healthier breed.

I love my RIR and Barred Rock, but they aren't the friendliest. I just got a Salmon Faverolles chick (supposed to be friendly and healthy) and a mystery breed chick (might be an olive egger or australorp), so I am experimenting to see what does well for me. I think moving forward I'm personally staying away from the high production breeds though. I wish you luck in finding some birds you love. :)

No problem! I didn't realize this either until I went through it. I wouldn't say don't get these chickens if you really want to because they truly are lovely, but I think you would have to be prepared to cull them when they get sick. It's kinda hard to get a chicken knowing there's a really high chance she'll get sick and suffer in a few years though, so it may just be easier to go with a healthier breed.

I love my RIR and Barred Rock, but they aren't the friendliest. I just got a Salmon Faverolles chick (supposed to be friendly and healthy) and a mystery breed chick (might be an olive egger or australorp), so I am experimenting to see what does well for me. I think moving forward I'm personally staying away from the high production breeds though. I wish you luck in finding some birds you love. :)
Thank you! I also have 2 RIR and one loves when i come down to visit her! I am thankful you posted.

While some breeds are known for being more or less docile, I've found that this can also be true for individual birds within a breed. I've had super friendly ones and super skittish or snappy ones of the same breed in the same flock. Right now my favorite is an Ideal 236. She is quirky and easy to pick up. She lays large white eggs just about every day. I won't get more of this breed due to their very large floppy combs and shorter lifespan due to being a mega-producer.

Dominiques!
The one on the right has been known to peck away others for additional lap time. And they are much softer in feather than our other duals.
PXL_20220923_192114719.MP.jpg

My top 4s are (not in order, I can't rank them any more than this):

Cornish bantams (highly, highly, highly recommend). They're cute, reliable layers and unappreciated as a good broody. Only downside is they're not super cold tolerant.

Araucana. Decently friendly, blue eggs and they're just neat looking with tufts and no tail. Downside is they're hard to hatch and harder to get.

Pheonix. Super bird of broodies, great rangers and just pretty. Downside is they don't do great being super confined.

Marans. Pretty eggs and my pair are sweethearts so far. Downside is that they were super popular, which means they're not consistent in appearance or quality anymore. I got super lucky with where I got mine

I was wondering what breed of chicken is your favorite one in your flock? By favorite I mean who is always looking for cuddles or just eager to see you, who lays eggs most consistently and who gets along with others….
I want a diverse flock but I want my flock to be friendly. I see them more as pets and producers of eggs. So who’s YOUR best breed ??
Thanks !
My Mille Fleurs are my favorites. I love them SO much!

In my flock, my EE is the sweetest and most outgoind, then my barred rock. This is because I had worked with them a lot so that I can train them for a school project. Since I did not work well with my blue jersey giants, they are not the friendliest, but they are friendlier than any other bird that I have not worked with as they would chase me around and jump for food as long as that food was mealworms(which I know is not very healthy, so they rarely ever get any). My neighbor has even sweeter birds, they have one golden comet and 2 ISA browns(I think), they are super sweet! They are probably my favorite for sweetness, but my favorites are my blue jerseys. I will be working more with my Jerseys as chicks. Good luck with your birds! Hope you find the right birds for you!

In my flock, my EE is the sweetest and most outgoind, then my barred rock. This is because I had worked with them a lot so that I can train them for a school project. Since I did not work well with my blue jersey giants, they are not the friendliest, but they are friendlier than any other bird that I have not worked with as they would chase me around and jump for food as long as that food was mealworms(which I know is not very healthy, so they rarely ever get any). My neighbor has even sweeter birds, they have one golden comet and 2 ISA browns(I think), they are super sweet! They are probably my favorite for sweetness, but my favorites are my blue jerseys. I will be working more with my Jerseys as chicks. Good luck with your birds! Hope you find the right birds for you!
Thanks for this! I’m also working with my chicks to make them use to me and I’m trying to handle each one every day, even if just holding them for 15 seconds. I want them to see me and think YAY! I’m trying!

Back
Top Bottom