What breed is your favorite in your flock?

Looking at your avatar and I have some birds that look JUST like this one. I always call them the ones with the big heads (I think it's their feathers at attention vs a for real BIG head). Anyway, they are so gorgeous, but I don't know what breed they are. From this thread are they Easter Eggers? Or, according to TSC where I purchased mine, they adverted them as "Ameracauna", hmmmmm.
Alas, we are awaiting opening day (eggs). They were hatched 6/29/22. Am I being impatient? I go out there E V E R Y DAY, no eggs yet, sigh.

If they're from TSC, they're most likely Easter-eggers. Neither hatchery that TSC stores commonly order through have true Ameraucanas.

Also, I hear you on waiting for eggs! All of my older gals have slowed down to a trickle and I'm waiting on my pullets to pick up the slack. Thus far, just my naked neck bantam has heard my pleas for eggs. My Cochin bantams probably won't start until next spring. 😩 A consequence of my strong preference for fancy bantams rather than productive large breeds.

Alas, we are awaiting opening day (eggs). They were hatched 6/29/22. Am I being impatient? I go out there E V E R Y DAY, no eggs yet, sigh.
No, this should be about the time they lay eggs.
I have two in the exact same situation, should be laying ANY day now but I don't see the normal patterns that tell me they are getting ready to actually DO so.
Im wondering if because it's winter that is throwing them off a bit, since all the rest of my regular ones are taking a vacation from laying eggs it seems

I'm wondering if because it's winter that is throwing them off a bit, since all the rest of my regular ones are taking a vacation from laying eggs it seems
Yup, I was thinking the same. As long as they are healthy though, really I am good. But boy am I spending a heapa dough on feed as I keep reading their diet has much to do with egg production. I am always wondering if they are getting enough to eat, sometimes I take more food out, duh. They get fed twice a day, morning and late afternoon. Water always, of course.

Looking at your avatar and I have some birds that look JUST like this one. I always call them the ones with the big heads (I think it's their feathers at attention vs a for real BIG head). Anyway, they are so gorgeous, but I don't know what breed they are. From this thread are they Easter Eggers? Or, according to TSC where I purchased mine, they adverted them as "Ameracauna", hmmmmm.
They're Easter eggers. TSC advertises them wrong, as do most hatcheries.

Oh im sure it does and it's not like you can really return them anymore at that point either. About the only thing you might be able to do is sit in the TSC parking lot on a saturday with the rest of the folks set up and sell them. What if you order them out of their catalog? and not just the ones sitting in a tub on the store floor? Might have better luck then? or not?

Aaron

Also, I hear you on waiting for eggs! All of my older gals have slowed down to a trickle and I'm waiting on my pullets to pick up the slack. Thus far, just my naked neck bantam has heard my pleas for eggs. My Cochin bantams probably won't start until next spring. 😩 A consequence of my strong preference for fancy bantams rather than productive large breeds.
It just occurred to me, I think the day I go out there and find a "real" egg (I have golf balls and ceramics in there now) I will probably start squalking so loudly you'd think it was a chicken laying an egg.

He looks out door, "Nah, that's just the ole woman out there!"

Oh im sure it does and it's not like you can really return them anymore at that point either. About the only thing you might be able to do is sit in the TSC parking lot on a saturday with the rest of the folks set up and sell them. What if you order them out of their catalog? and not just the ones sitting in a tub on the store floor? Might have better luck then? or not?

Aaron
I was wondeirng too. I mean, what if a customer really wants a bonafide Ameracauna? They were our first purchase and I just wanted healthy chicks. Even now, I'm good, but "what if"? I'm jus' sayin'?

ETA:

I just saw this via a Google search: "Where did you get them? True Ameraucanas are generally only available at a breeder. No fear: Easter Eggers are wonderful birds and you'll enjoy them just as much. Your birds look like they'll be the common golden partridgey color many EE hens have.". But, ha ha, it is taken from BYC apparently.

The one in my profile picture is a black astralorp. If it was advertised as an ameracauna it’s a easter egger. feed stores dont sell ameracaunas. Only very few hatcheries sell them.

Back
Top Bottom