What breed lays a red egg?

Quote:
Oh! I wish mine would start! She is only about 4 1/2 months, so I guess I have some more waiting!

My first two pullets started laying at 5 months. Marans need a higher protein feed, so I add game bird grower, black sunflower and safflower seeds to mine. The latest one I have started just now laying at 7 months. Hang on, you are coming up on your first eggies!
big_smile.png
Winter tends to delay the laying, but spring is on it's way...I hope!

Several years ago, I bought fresh eggs from an elderly woman in Bluffton, Iowa who had a farmyard full of scores of free-range chickens that all seemed to be curs. She had been raising chickens for many years, and all the breeds ran together. Eggs that I got from her were mostly pastels, blues, greens, rose, pink, beige, buff... but she also had some dark brown, terra cotta, dark green, dark blue, and every now and then, I got a RED egg (not pink, not rose, not terra cotta, but RED). They looked sorta like this:

th

I don't know whether they came out of the chicken like this, or they came into contact with something that affected their color, but they were not colored by the woman. The first time I saw it, I thought it was some kind of joke; but apparently, somewhere in her years of mixing breeds that came into contact, also, with wild birds, something happened, perhaps in combination with diet, that resulted occasionally in red eggs.

The woman now is gone to Heaven, and her chickens have scattered, so that her beautiful eggs no longer are available around here.
th

Back
Top Bottom