1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What breed lays double yolk eggs

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by funkychicken, Jun 23, 2008.

1. funkychicken

funkychicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2008
    East Texas
    oh my...I dont know enough about chickens...enlighten me please...

2. Wolf-Kim

Wolf-Kim Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 25, 2008
    Quote:You only breed for a high consistency of the double yolkers. You would still want those few single yolkers for hatching. People who breed for double-yolkers know better than to try and hatch the double yolks. Instead they select those few that have laid "some" single yolks and hatch those. They would still have the genetics to lay doubles yolkers themselves, just with the "occasional" single yolked.

-Kim

1 person likes this.
  3. funkychicken

funkychicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2008
    East Texas
    wlof-kim...how do you tell which is which...do you look at the eggs thru a light or something...thanks for your info

4. Wolf-Kim

Wolf-Kim Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 25, 2008
    Quote:Well, most of the time when my sexlinks lay their rare double-yolkers(I have only gotten a couple in the few years I have had the hens) the double yolk eggs are usually double the size. The first time I found a double yolker, I did not realize it until I was in the house and picked it up and wondered why I couldn't fit my whole hand around it, like I usually could. I compared them side by side with a regular egg and it was almost twice the size.

Candling could also be done to see whether it had one or two yolks.

-Kim

5. Davaroo

Davaroo Poultry Crank

Feb 4, 2007
    Leesville, SC
    What wolfie said....

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 23, 2008
  6. amystours

amystours Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2008
    Alexandria, Louisiana
    I think someone on here HATCHED a double yolk, didn't they? I'll browse and see if I can find it...

7. Crunchie

Crunchie Brook Valley Farm

Mar 1, 2007
    Maryland
    Quote:Speckledhen did, but the chicks didn't survive. I've never heard of anyone having a successful hatch with a double yolker...

8. newnanchic

newnanchic Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 3, 2008
    Newnan, Georgia
    Someone just did today !!! There is a thread on it. Hatched twins ~!!!

9. Reinbeau

Reinbeau The Teapot Underground Premium Member

A woman who I used to buy eggs from always had Golden Comets, and usually there were one or two double yokers in each dozen she sold.

10. Davaroo

Davaroo Poultry Crank

Feb 4, 2007
    Leesville, SC
    IT is considered uncommon for doube yolk eggs to hatch, but as with all things in the animal world, that isnt set in stone.
    Much of that comes, I think, from the admonition to not try to incubate doublers. Since for a VERY long time, it was more about doing what worked and not experimenting, the admonition sort of stuck as immutable law. Afte all, when your life depends on your livestock, its best to do what you can rely on.

As we are learning here everyday on BYC, many things can be done that the go against the rules.
    SO, in a real sense we're all groundbreaking pioneers!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by