1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

what breed next?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by farmgirl277, Sep 22, 2013.

1. farmgirl277

farmgirl277 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 11, 2013
    Hi all, so I want to get a few more chicks for my small flock and I was wondering what breed you think I should get? I was leaning to wayadotes or arrucannas, but I have herd arrucannas are flighty and we have a lot of predators and I was worried wayadotes might be to flashy and not blendin to the environment. Right now I have barred rocks and a mystory hen. The new ones world be raised by hand because I want them to be friendly. Thanks for you for your help :)

2. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    There are lots of breeds to choose from and each has it's own set of good and bad points, some take long to mature and some lay better than others, some don't lay very well, some tend to be more broody and some seldom if ever go broody, some breeds are flighty and some are friendly... Make a list of what you want in your chickens and go through the Breeds section and see which breeds tick the boxes for you. Also read through the breed reviews and see what the members' experiences and impressions with the different breeds were.

3. farmgirl277

farmgirl277 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 11, 2013
    Okay. Thank you.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by