What breed of Bantam rooster will be the most gentle with human?

arianna

Songster
12 Years
Sep 8, 2010
North Carolina
I have a rooster who's very pretty but he's getting more aggressive with me (only when I pick up the hens). I try to work with him to make him more tame, but it only works sometimes. So what will be my best choice in Bantam rooster is I where to replace him?

Last edited:
We are really new to chickens but so far we have had a Old English Game bantam rooster (Extremely aggressive), a black Silkie rooster (Aggressive but not as bad as the OEG), and now we have a Polish rooster and a bantam Cochin. The Polish rooster is still fairly young but won't even come up to us and has never shown any type of aggressive behavior. He is very flighty and gets scared easily. Our Cochin is my baby
smile.png
he is sweet to humans but will chase our dogs.
lol.png
He is still young as well and has never shown any type of aggressive behavior, he just likes pecking at my boots and pants. That's about it! I would say our best rooster is the Cochin. They say their are very docile and great with kids. So far he is wonderful! That's just my two cents
smile.png

Silkies are pretty friendly, as are cochins. My polish has never been aggressive, but he is always confused as to what is going on due to feathers obscuring his vision, The MEANEST bantam rooster I'v ever had is a Crele OEG, he won 1st place at the fair, and gets to live (in a cage) for that; but I once threw a pencil through a window (long funny story) running away from him. My oldest son however can pet this bird and treat it like a baby. I would go with a silkie.

70041_peep.jpg

meanest game rooster

silkie all the way, iv'e bee doing reserch on them (as they are my...
love.gif
DREAM CHICKEN!!!!!!
love.gif
)
as the chicken site says... "Silkies are well known for their calm, friendly temperament. Among the most docile of poultry, Silkies are considered an ideal pet."

Last edited:
Silkies roos are the easiest to turn into lovers. If you start out while they are chicks and at 2-4 months of age you will be able to pick out the roos -constantly handle them all ...you will find one or 2 that will like being handled the most , luv them up and one will become your buddy. That is the 1 you will work with . Before you know it he will be your best bud and a sweet boy to your girls.

I second D'uccle all the way! My sweet lavender D'uccle is more like a cuddly puppy than a rooster towards us, he is such a joy. He's sweet natured, but he's not wimpy. He takes excellent care of his 10 hens, he keeps them in line, alerts them, defends them, and it's so cute to see him feed them treats mouth to mouth.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom