What breed of Bantam rooster will be the most gentle with human?

Oddly, my experiences have been that my OEGB roosters have been very sweet and friendly, whereas my black Japanese rooster (who I had for eleven years until he died of old age) was mostly pretty good but got grumpy sometimes and did cause harm to me and other people a few times when hormones were raging in spring and summer. My serama rooster is a total sweetheart, and has never shown even the slightest inclination to attack me. I can pick him up and kiss him all the time, hahaha.

In general, cochins, silkies, and d'uccles are a good bet when it comes to gentle, though.

My OEGB has been a absolute gentleman. He's very friendly, always shares found treats with the hens, and makes no fuss whatsoever when I pick him up.

I also have a Silkie roo who thinks he's a combination of a dog and a lap roo. He follows me all over the yard in the hopes I'll stop to pick him up and hug him. I just wish I could figure out why he likes to bop my Dad's boots.
roll.png

I had a Lavender Ameracauna (purebred) bantam who was the cockiest yet sweetest boy. I had black and silver roos as well, but the black was very flighty, and the Silvers were ill-tempered.

Had two D'Anver roos. One was vicious and had to be put down. The other was a complete sweetheart when he was younger, but became more flighty with puberty. He's still friendly, just not like he used to be.

I had a D'Uccle who thought he was king of the land, but never started trouble with any other chicken unless they instigated the aggression. Then he'd whoop on them.
lol.png

Basically, roosters have unique personalities, and because of or in spite of their breed they can be good boys or horrible monsters. Just have to see what happens.

Back
Top Bottom