What breed of cat is this?

Ragdolls, if I remember correctly, are basically a breeding line of cats that crosses simese or hymilan with your typical house cat.

Quote:
Well, that is where the breed came from, but it is theoretically a 'breed' now, same as other breeds. For example, see http://www.fanciers.com/breed-faqs/ragdoll-faq.html . I know they are not necessarily looked on with favor by parts of the cat world, for various reasons, but still, there they are
wink.png

(Disclaimer: I am *not* a ragdoll person, I think much of the hype around them is silly, but OTOH they are out there in considerable numbers and I have nothing against them either)

Mind, I see no particular reason to believe the cat in this thread *is* a ragdoll, the conformation does not look right to me and there is way not enough white. While 'toes dipped in white paint' is consistant with Birman, as Rosalind says, the rest of the cat sure does not look Birman to me and you get the same thing by just having white-spotting genes in a pointed mix.

I think it is a mix that happens to be semi-longhaired and pointed and white toed. And if you ask me, mixes are WONDERFUL WONDERFUL cats, and all I would ever own
smile.png

Pat

Last edited:
His colour is hard to describe for someone who doesn't know the more unusual ones. His points are a mousey colour, he looks blueish brown to me. When you talk about the white spotted gene, do you mean the one that gives him white mittens? His eyes are very blue. I don't know how old he is, he's grown but doesn't seem old. My best guess would be around 2. He's not very very fluffy, which I like. His tail fur is the longest. My dog, the one who lost her pet, is a Bloodhound and she loves to groom cats. A longhair might come out very slimey after that! He's a large cat, not overweight but he's stocky.

My friend used to breed Birmans and I once found someone's missing Birman too, but he doesn't remind me of them. That was in England though, and lots of cat and dog breeds look different here compared to there. Those cats were very 'pretty' looking and had delicate faces, this guy is more substantial. Whatever he is or isn't, even my husband thinks he's cute LOL He's in the pound so he's probably just a handsome mix that came out looking like he could be a particular breed. We have a dog like that and my husband calls her a Labradork; the shelter called her half Lab, half fence jumper. I'll have to take Penny to see him and see if he passes the test. Here she is a few months ago with her old cat.

Photos018.jpg

His colour is hard to describe for someone who doesn't know the more unusual ones. His points are a mousey colour, he looks blueish brown to me.

Lilac point, perhaps?

When you talk about the white spotted gene, do you mean the one that gives him white mittens?

Yup.

His eyes are very blue.

Yup, that generally (not always) goes along with the siamese-y coloring.

My best guess would be around 2. He's not very very fluffy, which I like. His tail fur is the longest.

Oh yes, those are beautiful, with the plumey tails but not *too* too much body fur to have to deal with
smile.png

I have a medium-haired cat right now, shorter-furred than yours without such a plumey tail, but definitely with some persian-type longhair in his past (had longhaired siblings, and has short broad nose etcetera). He is SUCH a good lapwarmer in the winter, all that soft dense fur is great to bury your cold hands to warm them up
smile.png

Anyhow, this sounds like a very nice cat, and I hope your dog thinks so too and vice versa
smile.png
good luck,

Pat​

Some Ragdolls have mittens, others don't. His coloring and fur length make me think Birman, but his conformation, like you said, is not right for it. So, mix cat.

How is his voice, is he very vocal? He's very handsome and looks quite self-assured. Always a good sign of a well-adjusted cat who knows his place in the household (and yours).

He's very purry but he didn't miaow, so I don't know what he sounds like. He was just pleased to have some attention. I just hope they still have him when I go back.

DSCF0275.jpg

This pic showed a purebred Blue Point Siamese..not Lilac point which they are much lighter. She didnt talk like a Siamese or a deep throaty yowl they are known for. Not all Siamese have that trait even they are purebreds. I lost her recently possibly from sudden heart attack...she was only six years old.

I've got a Seal point 3/4 Siamese female that has tabby markings running thru her body. Took it from her father which he was a Siamese cross but a very dark sealpoint with darker tabby stripes. She sometimes talks alot and sometimes she is very quiet. She is only six months old now and spayed!

My first Siamese was a real Siamese, an applehead, and cross eyed to boot. She was very friendly as well and lived to be very old.

Wedgeheads are very popular with some cat fanciers....a real bat head of a cat I've ever seen! Sleek as heck and a yowl to match!

I had a barn cat like that and it was a Himalyan cross and she had longer coat than a Siamese. She was even voice too!

I'm sorry about your cat passing. She was beautiful. When we lost my childhood cat, just a great big alleycat, even my dad was in tears. I hope your others bring you joy and help you heal from the loss.

We've applied to adopt a different cat elsewhere, but the shelter is giving us so much grief with forms and interviews and references before we can even meet the cat that I think i'd rather drive 400 miles back to get this guy.

Back
Top Bottom