What breed of chicken is most likely to win at state fair poultry shows?

Winning has nothing to do with the breed. It all depends on how closely the bird meets the standard. I also depends on the judge somewhat as well.
X3 I agree, birds from breeders will almost always (almost) do better than a hatchery bird. And the judge’s opinion/preferences are a BIG part of it. You can have a bird that does great, gets champion at multiple shows, then doesn’t even get their class at another.

It definitely has to do with the judge. The judge at my county fair almost always picked a waterfowl.
I would definitely say it's easier to be all black than speckled. Complex color patterns are really hard to master. I have Speckled Sussex, and love them but it's so easy to get one with a white feather or a feather with more than 1 inch of white which is a disqualification. It's much easier to be just a plain colored chicken :)

It definitely has to do with the judge. The judge at my county fair almost always picked a waterfowl.
I would definitely say it's easier to be all black than speckled. Complex color patterns are really hard to master. I have Speckled Sussex, and love them but it's so easy to get one with a white feather or a feather with more than 1 inch of white which is a disqualification. It's much easier to be just a plain colored chicken :)
good to know thanks

Back
Top Bottom