What breed of chicken is this?

newtochickening

Chirping
Sep 25, 2020
Hi everyone! We recently started raising our first chickens, and this included a 10-chick Rare/Standard pack from Tractor Supply, which came from Hoover's Hatchery. Can anyone help identify this chick? We have more that we will need to identify later, but don't have good pictures of them yet.

Also, does anyone have any suggestions for the best hatcheries and their favorite breeds?

Attachments

• chicken 1.png
    chicken 1.png
    711.7 KB · Views: 15
Can anyone help identify this chick?

https://hoovershatchery.com/id-my-chick.html
Hoovers has a page with chick photos to help identify them.

For that specific chick, there are several kinds that look much alike when young. They typically grow up to be black, although a few may be "blue" (a gray shade).

Black Australorp, Black Jersey Giant, Black Sexlink, Blue Andalusian (black or blue form), Midnight Majesty Marans, Sapphire Gem, Sapphire Olive Egger--based on your photo, I think all of these could be possibilities.

Looks like she has white skin, so you can eliminate Jersey Giant and about half of the black sexlinks (most of them are made with something red over barred rock, so they're usually yellow skinned) There isn't enough comb there for me to think Andalusian unless something changes, and the comb is single, and there is no beard, so probably not a coloured egg layer (though there are enough coloured egg layer varieties with different characteristics that it is definitely possible). I don't see a headspot, so not a Barred bird, and the feet aren't feathered, so she's probably not a Marans (at least, not a French standard one). With the Sapphire Gem cross, Hoovers breeds a splash rooster to a barred rock female, so all of the babies are blue, not black.

I'd say probably an Australorp, or a black sexlink. Black sexlink would be a weird thing to get in a "rare breed" pack, but this is Hoover's.

I have only ordered from Murray McMurry and have done so twice over the summer even with the post office delays the majority of chicks arrived safe and healthy. I was very pleased with their customer service and they have many breeds to choose from. Even some of the rarer ones like black copper Marans and crested cream leg bars.
I have had friends purchase birds from Meyer and they have been pleased with them as well.😊

Black sexlink would be a weird thing to get in a "rare breed" pack, but this is Hoover's.

a 10-chick Rare/Standard pack from Tractor Supply, which came from Hoover's Hatchery.

I looked it up--the "Rare/Standard" pack is a mix of rare breeds and common breeds. They do not guarantee any particular number of rare chicks vs. common chicks.

So Black Sexlink could easily be included as one of the common breeds.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom