What breed of chicken??? PLEASE HELP!!!

equinehugger3

Crowing
12 Years
Apr 14, 2010
I'm looking into getting chickens or chicks (preferably chicks), but I have no idea what kind to get. I NEED a winter hardy one, and I need a pretty good egg layer. I also would REALLY like something weird-looking and fluffy.
clap.gif
I LOVE Silkies and Salmon Faverolles, but other weird breeds are good! I have a teeny Blue Cochin (bantam?), and a BIIIG Jersey Giant. They are both 6 months old, and they haven't layed yet! ( 'side' question- when SHOULD they start laying?)

Thank you SOOOO much!!!
celebrate.gif
woot.gif

Last edited:
As far as I am aware, the basic difference in a winter hardy and others is that breeds with smaller combs are considered more winter hardy that breeds with the big single comb. The single combs are more susceptable to frostbite. Plenty of people keep single combed breeds like you already have further north than you live. Adequate ventilation, eliminating drafts on them while they are sleeping, and maybe insulating the coop can usually handle the frostbite issues. I don't think you absolutely need to limit yourself to the small combed breeds, but it does reduce the risk of frostbite a bit.

Weird is in the eye of the beholder. I don't have a clue what you would consider weird. Most of the dual purpose breeds have been bred to produce a fair amount of eggs. Most of the decorative breeds, what many people would call weird like the silkies, cochin, or polish, were bred as pets, not for their egg laying ability. I think you are going to have to pick between egg laying and appearance.

Some of the standard small combed breeds that lay well are Wyandottes (different colors and patterns to choose from), Buckeyes, and Chantaclers. There are some others that have the small combs, like Ameraucanas, but they usually don't lay as well as the others.

Good luck!

I have golden comets. they are red and brown in color. med size bird and they are great egg layers, friendly, quite, and do well in the winter. that is what i would recomend.

Thanks! That did help!!! I just dont want my chickens to be freezing to death 'cause I didn't do my homework... thanks!

Jersey Giants are an Excellent choice for cold weather Standard layers.Our's did really well.They are good very tame bird's too provided you get them young and mess with them a lot.Cochin's are pretty cold hardy bird's too and they lay well but are very broody as well as silkie's etc.Silkie's, frizzle's, and Naked neck need a lot more protection from the element's.But If you have a good closed area for them at night away from wind and possible frost bite they are awesome Hen's.Just keep them all warm and they will do great. All of mine have always been housed in closed coops at night so....

Russian Orloffs are known for being very cold hardy. We have one, it's my son's chicken, and she is super sweet.

Back
Top Bottom