What breed of chicken should I get?

Discussion in 'Chicken Breeders & Hatcheries' started by FF, Sep 6, 2011.

1. FF

FF Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 9, 2010
    Tennessee
    Hello. I believe I am ready to retire my old flock. So here is what i am looking for. I sell eggs at a local farmers market. And I want a chicken that will set very good. Heres what ive got in mind: Black Australorps, Buff orpingtons and Rhode IslandReds. I have had all 3 breeds. But none of the ones I had have set. I have PR's and BA's righ now. I am keeping 2 of each. Please let me know what your opinions is and what hatchery has the best quality. Pictures would also be nice. Thanks.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2011
  2. ilovemydog

ilovemydog Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2011
    I have ordered from Murray Mcmurray(2011) ...the australorps are great nice in size ...and just began to lay at 21 weeks..Have an order coming from Ideal this week !!

3. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    The reason yours don't set much is because they're common hatchery based birds, which, hatcheries breed out broodiness.

You need to stick with heritage types. Like heritage Rhode Island Reds and true show quality Orpingtons. BIG beautiful and meaty birds, longer lifespan, and although they don't lay as much as your current birds would on their first year, their production in general usually spans out for a longer time. (they're reliable layers beyond 3 years old)

Have a look at the heritage Rhode Island Red thread for a few examples, or the English Orpington thread for Orp examples.

Some other good breeds are Easter Eggers (technically not a breed) and the better choice, Ameraucanas (avoid Easter Eggers in this case, as many people sell under false claim) Ameraucanas I say are a better choice because they're FAR more likely to set eggs. [​IMG] The blue eggs are a big hit too.

Another big hit are French Marans . Very reliable layers of really dark brown eggs, like in my avatar, and occasionally to frequently broody.

Pics -

Blue Ameraucana hen

[​IMG]

Blue eggs

[​IMG]

Marans hen, Black Copper and Wheaten

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Dark eggs

[​IMG]

4. Nicole01

Nicole01 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 28, 2011
    MN
    My RIR is a VERY good layer! Her eggs are huge and dark brown. Her eggs get eaten before the others in our egg carton.

5. Neil Grassbaugh

Neil Grassbaugh Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 1, 2008
    The best setters are the poorest layers. While they are broody they are not laying.

The poorest setters are to busy laying eggs to be broody.

6. justin24

justin24 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 30, 2011
    memphis tn
    get silkies or silkes croos or black sex links and some banty would do the job like old english or american game also look it up on youtube that how i choose my hen let some eggs collect in the nest about 10-12 and see what happens i have a silkie cross sitting
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 6, 2011
  7. Arielle

Arielle Chicken Obsessed

Feb 19, 2011
    Massachusetts, USA
    Some people use a couple breeds. Like use a silkie as the broody and keep the other girls in full lay.

8. Godiva

Godiva Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2007
    Colorado
    If you want a reliable broody I recommend a silkie or silkie cross. I have a little silkie cross that goes broody about every month if I don't let her hatch anything [​IMG] and they are devoted mothers! Little chick hatching machines and they don't eat much or take up much space either [​IMG]

9. FF

Jan 9, 2010
    Tennessee
    Hello everyone. thanks to all who ahve replyed. Well I did place an order with Meyers. Heres what I ordered:

20 White Leghorn Females
    15 Golden Buff Females(sex links for my production)
    5 Buff Orpington Females(as my heritage and setter breed)
    1 Buff rooster
    2 Ameracauna Females
    2 Ameracauna Bantams
    3 assorted Bantams
    1 Meyers Meal Maker

I have found someone local with the Rhode Isalands. I have had the Production reds but not the darker Rhode Islands. I like the egg color of them and everbody including you all say that it is a good breed. So i am gouing to pick up a few maybe this week or next week from a teacher I know. They are 6 weeks old. That saves me some time for eggs. As far as the Black Copper Marnas, they did have some but they wanted $10 a piece for them! I figured I could get shoe quality for a little more and come out ahead. So I passed on the for now. Thanks to all of you for your help and time! Dusty

Last edited: Sep 8, 2011
  10. FF

Jan 9, 2010
    Tennessee
    Quote:Justiin24, Arille and Godiva, I do have a silkie! She is just a pet who runs free in our yard as a yard ornament. Shes a show silkie and I paid full price too but she was just way too calm for me to put her in the coop. So heres teh thing, how can I get this literally spoiled silkie to sit on eggs? I would really like to see what she does since you all say these sit good. thanks for your alls help. Dusty

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by