What Breed of Chicken Would be Best for Me?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by xIndigoSkyx, Aug 15, 2011.

1. xIndigoSkyx

xIndigoSkyx Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 4, 2010
    St.Albert, Alberta
    Well I live in Edmonton, Alberta, Canada. I was looking for a hardy but friendly natured chicken. Any help?

2. Yay Chicks!

Yay Chicks! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2010
    Forest Grove, OR
    There's more than one breed of bird to fit that description, but Orpingtons tend to have nice dispositions and are cold hardy. They don't much care for extreme heat, however.

3. 10 point

10 point country boy

Feb 19, 2011
    LaFayette, NY
    theres a lot that would fight your situation but my favorite is the red sex link. (red star)

4. xIndigoSkyx

xIndigoSkyx Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 4, 2010
    St.Albert, Alberta
    Well it can get up to 27c here

5. Pele

Pele Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2011
    Boise
    Quote:I agree, these are a very cold tolerant and friendly hybrid in my experience. THey lay eggs like it's going out of style too! Any bird you get should be given adequate shelter though, and maybe a little heater if the temp dips to 27c.

6. RareBreedFancier

RareBreedFancier Surrounded by Broodies

Nov 5, 2010
    Australia :)
    27c isn't going to worry any chicken, they will be fine. [​IMG]

It gets well over 40c here, that can be deadly.

7. RhodeRunner

RhodeRunner Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2009
    Ashtabula, Ohio
    Considering where you live I would imagine lower temperatures are going to be more of a concern. I would stick with dual-purpose fowl that have smaller combs. Some breed suggestions Ameraucanas, Buckeyes, Brahmas, Chanteclers, Dominique, Easter Eggers, Orloff, and Wyandottes.

8. punky rooster

punky rooster Awesome

Jul 21, 2010
    Quote:Chanteclers - the only APA accepted breed from Canada.

9. Zaxby's2

Zaxby's2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2011
    a place
    I would suggest four breeds that will go well together:
    Buff orpingtons- Beautiful golden birds that make good brown egg layers, great moms, good meat birds, are hardy, and have great personalities.
    Rhode Island Reds- Pretty, great brown layers, fair moms, good meat birds, hardy, docile.
    Dominiques- Cool barring, good brown layers, nice moms, good for meat, hardy, sweet.
    Easter eggers- Neat looking, lays cool green eggs, average moms, decent for meat, hardy, and nice.

Their different colors give your flock variety, not to mention all the benefits. [​IMG]

10. Chick1043

Chick1043 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 5, 2011
    Idaho
    I'm no expert but I would go with Buff Orpingtons or Dark Brahmas.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by