What Breed of Chickens Do I Have????

weinstein-farm

Hatching
5 Years
Jul 1, 2014
My little sister joined the 4H club a few months back and we received 10 pullets of random breed. Some we were able to figure out quite quickly while others we are still unsure about. We should have received 2 of 5 different breeds, but we think we got 4 Australorps. We also have 2 White Brahmas. Any guesses would be great. I think they are around 6 weeks old now. Sorry about quality of pictures, difficult to take of cell phone.

this black one has peach-like feet, black-greenish feathers, brown eyes and a more than 5 spiked comb.

images

Hello there and welcome to BYC!

Looks like Michael has got them ID'd for you. Nice flock!

Make yourself at home here on BYC and welcome to our flock!

Thanks for the responses. The black one you were asking about has a pinkish color around the ear and the legs/feet are slate almost black. I was almost wondering if he was a rooster or a jersey giant because of size difference.

Thanks for the responses. The black one you were asking about has a pinkish color around the ear and the legs/feet are slate almost black. I was almost wondering if he was a rooster or a jersey giant because of size difference.
Size difference may not be an indicator if it is a young hen as different breeds mature at different rates. Jersey Giants are slow to mature. Check the legs carefully. If they are greenish, its an Easter Egger. If they are not, check the bottoms of the feet. If they are yellow, it's a Black Jersey Giant. If the bottoms of the feet are white, it's a Black Australorp.

It has a head similar to the Australorp in the first picture with off-white feet. I guess that means she is an australorp. I have three larger rhode island red hens and the two you called reds look a little different. I'll post some better pictures of them all.

Quote: "the two you called reds look a little different"

Red Sex Links are hybrids produced by crossing a red gene rooster (RIR, New Hampshire, or Production Red) with a white/silver gene hen (White Rock, Rhode Island White, Delaware, or Light Sussex) which produce offspring that can be sexed at hatching by color (males are whitish, females are reddish). Red Sex Links are marketed by hatcheries under a lot of different names such as Brown Sex Link, Gold Sex Link, Cinnamon Queen, Bovans Brown, Golden Buff, Golden Comet, Hubbard Golden Comet, Isa Brown, Babcock Brown, Shaver Brown, Warrens, Bovans Goldline, etc.). I don't know which particular red gene roo x white/silver gene hen was used in your Red Sex Links, but looking at them, they were likely (though not necessarily marketed under one of the gold/golden labels.

These are our larger laying hens. 2 Golden Sex-Links and 3 Reds.

The babies have a lighter coat and beak as well as white around the eyes and ears. Where as the reds have a pinkish color.

The head of the australorp/easter egger. Brown eyes 7 spike comb.

Sorry for the quick responses, we've had them almost 3 months and i've really wanted to know what they are.

Back
Top Bottom