What breed of dog has this kind of hair on his back?

thank you babymakes (how many?
lol.png
). While no where near purebred, he does look exactly (type not color) like the pic. Now I can do my research to see how he should best respond to training. He is smart and likes to do what makes him (& he thinks me) happy. Really good personality. His furrowed look on his face is what cinched it from the pic for me.

Thank you to all the other responders. Any info. will be appreciated.

Last edited:
Quote:
Hon, he's a dog. Train him like a dog.
I suggest this book; http://www.amazon.com/Dog-Talk-Training-Through-Canine/dp/0312117787/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1298091872&sr=1-1

If
he likes to make you happy - show him what makes you happy. There really isn't One Perfect Way to train all retrievers and a Second Perfect Way that only works on hounds. They are all dogs, first and foremost.

If you want to know to satisfy your curiosity, please be aware that looks don't mean much. I've got a friend giving away puppies who look like Golden Retrievers. Their mother looks like an Australian Shepherd. From what they could see of the father, he looked kinda like Ol' Yeller.
I doubt that any of the pups will retrieve like a Golden, herd like an Aussie or hunt hogs like Ol' Yeller - but I'm pretty sure they'll be nice dogs anyway. So long as you like your dog, that's what's important. He'll train like a dog.

Quote:
Hon, he's a dog. Train him like a dog.
I suggest this book; http://www.amazon.com/Dog-Talk-Training-Through-Canine/dp/0312117787/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1298091872&sr=1-1

If
he likes to make you happy - show him what makes you happy. There really isn't One Perfect Way to train all retrievers and a Second Perfect Way that only works on hounds. They are all dogs, first and foremost.

If you want to know to satisfy your curiosity, please be aware that looks don't mean much. I've got a friend giving away puppies who look like Golden Retrievers. Their mother looks like an Australian Shepherd. From what they could see of the father, he looked kinda like Ol' Yeller.
I doubt that any of the pups will retrieve like a Golden, herd like an Aussie or hunt hogs like Ol' Yeller - but I'm pretty sure they'll be nice dogs anyway. So long as you like your dog, that's what's important. He'll train like a dog.

This is true, but some breeds do have very strong propensities that can make training easier if you work with them. I have Golden Retrievers (the world's smartest dogs, of course
big_smile.png
) and I'm here to tell you if you can work fetching into a lesson, they'll learn it at lightening speed! Similarly, my little Jack Russell responds well to any kind of training that involves grabbing/holding. He was a booger to leash train until I showed him how to "lead" me with the leash in his mouth. After that, it was a game for him and leash training was smooth. Dogs are dogs, and most of them do want to please their owners, but it doesn't hurt to understand what pleases them as well.

thanks for all the responses. having helped train bird dogs, I am of the belief that each breed has a best way to try and train them. Altho I understand every dog is an individual and has to be dealt with as such. Never heard of letting them mouth the lead, smart & funny..........

We handled the setters much different than the pointers and them different from the brits. Dad's favorite (pointer/weimeruner cross) was in a world all of his own. Stubborn, but good and he knew it.

Back
Top Bottom