what breed of duck is better?

heartofcountry

Hatching
5 Years
Apr 18, 2014
I am considering getting a couple of ducks in my backyard and after I did some research I've narrowed the breeds I'm interested in down to:
-Pekin
-Cayuga
-Welsh Harlequin
-Ancona

I'm mostly looking for the quietest, friendliest, calmest, and cleanest out of these breeds but I'm stuck cause they all seem like amazing breeds to own.

Ellaluvsbirds

Chirping
6 Years
Apr 22, 2013
I have only had Pekin, Muscovy and fawn and white indian runner ducks. I really enjoyed having Pekins, I had three and their names were Larry, Curly and Moe (we thought they were all boys at the start) They were great for free ranging but they weren`t that smart. I also enjoyed my Muscovy male and I still have my indian runners, they have just started laying eggs and I have almost 30 to put in the incubator, I am sooo excited!! I think that the breed of duck you get all depends on why you want them, for eggs, meat, showing or just for pets.

Last edited:

TLWR

Crowing
9 Years
Jul 10, 2010
southern AL
cleanest LOLOLOL
Ok, now that we have that off the list....

pekins can be loud mouths.
WH are very calm and quiet - I have one and she's calm and quite. My runners can be chatting up a storm and she usually just listens. If she has something to say, she'll let you know though! It just isn't very often.

You can mix the breeds.

Right now I have 4 runners, 1 wh and a buff duckling and a mallard duckling.

Finny

Songster
6 Years
Jan 5, 2014
I agree with TLWR there are no such things as clean ducks! Although if you find a system that works for you, you will be able to keep the mess down. I have cayugas and they are known to be the quietest breed of duck besides for muscovys. They are pretty calm as well. Welsh harlequins are very calm I have heard. Pekins are known to be noisy. Those are all very pretty breeds you are looking at! Good luck choosing :)

Top Bottom