What breed of duck to get???

Quote:
Silky ducks perhaps? They come in a variety of colors and the black ones have a green sheen. They are a lovely bantam.

http://www.feathersite.com/Poultry/Ducks/Silky/BRKSilky.html

SilkieDuckPr.JPEG

My DS just showed his Khaki Campbells, Blue Swedish and Indian runners (none of them fly) at our county fair for 4-H. He had a few mixed breeds as well and I just have to say the judges actually chose the khaki campbell/runner mix to be Best of Show (even beat the call ducks that were in cages under combination lock!). This of course was not an APA show. I've also been told clipping wings isn't good if you intend to show. Good luck ducks are fun!

Silky Ducks would be great BUT they arent in the standard. Cayugas are very showey ducks. When bred right they are absolutley amazing looking with their beetle green sheen. They are quiet unlike Runners and lay Black eggs in the beginning of the season turning grey by the end of the year.They are the best that fits the bill of what you want. I hope I helped.

Ryan

The silky ducks are adorable. I am thinking of ordering an adult pair from Holderread's. They are friendly, great pets, great parents....just too adorable.

The East Indies are beautiful little bantams too and similar personalities.

Keeping the one wing clipped isn't all that bad. I do it to my leg horns and to my ducks...except the pekins they are so large they cant even get a bit of lift.

Love the silkies and the east indies. How big do either get? I assume by the pics they are pretty small. Is there a minimum order you have to meet when ordering from Holderreads? I know silkies aren't the standard but they will never get there unless they get alot more exposure. We are all for going against the standard anyway. LOL
wink.png

Thanks for the suggestions!!!!!

Back
Top Bottom