What breed of duckling?

BlueO

Chirping
Nov 8, 2023
Hello everyone! I recently got two black Swedish ducklings one just randomly diedšŸ˜ž. I was very sad and so was the other duckling so we went to big R and got a new one. They seem to be bonding well, but Iā€™m not sure what breed this duck is. I thought it could be Welsh Harlequin, but I looked up pictures and now Iā€™m just completely confused. sheā€™s also quite a bit smaller than the older one who is also a drake. Will this be a problem.
image.jpg
image.jpg

Hereā€™s her and her new brother.

Very, very much appreciated. Thank you.

I think it is indeed a Welsh Harlequin duckling. If it's a female, there should be no problems until he reaches puberty and starts wanting to mate. If she is mature enough at that point she should be okay but a 1 drake to 1 duck ratio means she will probably be overmated, and so it's best to either get a few more females or separate them for periods of time during breeding season to give her a chance to rest.

If it is another male, there could be issues, but it's a wait and see kind of thing.

I think it is indeed a Welsh Harlequin duckling. If it's a female, there should be no problems until he reaches puberty and starts wanting to mate. If she is mature enough at that point she should be okay but a 1 drake to 1 duck ratio means she will probably be overmated, and so it's best to either get a few more females or separate them for periods of time during breeding season to give her a chance to rest.

If it is another male, there could be issues, but it's a wait and see kind of thing.
Great I really wanted a Welsh Harlequin duck! And I think it is a female. I have a few more ducks though and already have two males so Iā€™m not really sure what to do about thatšŸ˜¬. But I do already have two hens.

Hello everyone! I recently got two black Swedish ducklings one just randomly diedšŸ˜ž. I was very sad and so was the other duckling so we went to big R and got a new one. They seem to be bonding well, but Iā€™m not sure what breed this duck is. I thought it could be Welsh Harlequin, but I looked up pictures and now Iā€™m just completely confused. sheā€™s also quite a bit smaller than the older one who is also a drake. Will this be a problem. View attachment 3822254View attachment 3822256

She is so cute!ā¤ļø
Iā€™m sorry your other duckling died.šŸ˜¢

Hello everyone! I recently got two black Swedish ducklings one just randomly diedšŸ˜ž. I was very sad and so was the other duckling so we went to big R and got a new one. They seem to be bonding well, but Iā€™m not sure what breed this duck is. I thought it could be Welsh Harlequin, but I looked up pictures and now Iā€™m just completely confused. sheā€™s also quite a bit smaller than the older one who is also a drake. Will this be a problem. View attachment 3822254View attachment 3822256

Same here! Wishing the best!

Back
Top Bottom