what breed of ducks have crests

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Jimmy O'h, Jun 24, 2011.

1. Jimmy O'h

Jimmy O'h New Egg

Jun 24, 2011
    does any1 no wat breed of ducks have crests as i am in ireland lookin for a crested indian runner drake:jumpy

2. Ducker123

Ducker123 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 24, 2011
    GB
    i think all duck breeds can have crests.. the only thing i have heard is that muscovys cannot get crests, but not sure on that one.

3. thekid

thekid Chillin' With My Peeps

all breeds have crests

4. goosedragon

goosedragon Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2009
    Central NC
    Quote:muscovy have crests but they can raise and lower them depending on mood.

5. Ducker123

Ducker123 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 24, 2011
    GB
    ohh right i knew something was abit different with muscovys [​IMG]

6. FarmrGirl

FarmrGirl MooseMistress

Jul 1, 2009
    Southern Maryland
    All Mallard-type ducks can have crests. That being said, the crested gene is called the "lethal gene" because the crest is actually developed through a hole in your ducklings head. All sorts of brain trama's might occur and the mortality rate is high. Furthermore, breeding a crested to a crested will often cause the hatchling to develop it's brain on the OUTSIDE OF ITS SKULL.

I'm not a proponent of breeding for crest. I think they're cute and silly looking but I have recieved crested ducks in hatchery orders before (when I didn't order crested) and some of them couldn't walk straight (just turned around and around in a circle) and some couldn't stand up without falling down. I do have one crested from my last meat duck order that seems to be doing fine.

You can read details about this gene here: http://www.faithvalleywaterfowl.com/crested_call_genetics.html but I warn you that there are some graphic photo's showing what the crested gene can do you your duckling.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by