what breed of ducks have crests

Jimmy O'h

Hatching
8 Years
Jun 24, 2011
does any1 no wat breed of ducks have crests as i am in ireland lookin for a crested indian runner drake:jumpy

i think all duck breeds can have crests.. the only thing i have heard is that muscovys cannot get crests, but not sure on that one.

ohh right i knew something was abit different with muscovys
smile.png

All Mallard-type ducks can have crests. That being said, the crested gene is called the "lethal gene" because the crest is actually developed through a hole in your ducklings head. All sorts of brain trama's might occur and the mortality rate is high. Furthermore, breeding a crested to a crested will often cause the hatchling to develop it's brain on the OUTSIDE OF ITS SKULL.

I'm not a proponent of breeding for crest. I think they're cute and silly looking but I have recieved crested ducks in hatchery orders before (when I didn't order crested) and some of them couldn't walk straight (just turned around and around in a circle) and some couldn't stand up without falling down. I do have one crested from my last meat duck order that seems to be doing fine.

You can read details about this gene here: http://www.faithvalleywaterfowl.com/crested_call_genetics.html but I warn you that there are some graphic photo's showing what the crested gene can do you your duckling.

Back
Top Bottom