What breed of hens laid these eggs?

JennyWren73

Hatching
Aug 7, 2016
Southern California
I've read up about the different colored eggs that various breeds lay, but how about determining the culprit by the shape of her egg? I currently have two hens that started laying last month, a Gold Comet and a Rhode Island Red. There has been a consistent pattern: someone's laying the longer, slender eggs, and the other is laying more rounded ones. Sometimes they are almost the same color, but the shapes are distinctly different. Any helpful thoughts on this?

On a similar note, I have two younger girls not laying yet: a Welsummer and a Blue-Laced Wyandotte. I understand that the Welsummer will have a very dark brown egg. Based on what I've been reading, it sounds like the color of the Wyandotte's eggs will be similar to the ones below, though. Do you think there's any chance that I'll be able to tell hers apart from the others based on shape and/or size?

I don't know how to tell the breed of a chicken by the shape of their eggs. But I did have a RIR once whose eggs where more pointy like the one on the left. I usually get rounder eggs from orpingtons and Plymouth rocks, never have had a gold comet before. I'm not sure if a comets build is similar to those breeds. It's interesting trying to figure out who layed which egg. If you spend enough mornings in the coop you eventually learn who :)

Last edited:
This is helpful -- I've actually been suspecting the RIR of the pointier ones, but didn't want to give that away in my initial post. :) It'd just be nice to know who's laying what for health reasons. Thanks!

i think it is not necessarily the breed, but the individual. I have two Production Reds and one lays a darker more skinny egg and one lays a lighter beige fatter egg. I only knew who by seeing who laid which egg.

I don't know how to tell the breed of a chicken by the shape of their eggs. But I did have a RIR once whose eggs where more pointy like the one on the left. I usually get rounder eggs from orpingtons and Plymouth rocks, never have had a gold comet before. I'm not sure if a comets build is similar to those breeds. It's interesting trying to figure out who layed which egg. If you spend enough mornings in the coop you eventually learn who
smile.png
I have noticed the same thing, actually
lol.png

If you do some detective work, and manage to be there as a hen leaves the nest, you can begin to learn who lays what.

You can also take food coloring and place one color per bird on/in the vent and when they lay the color will transfer to the egg. Needs to be redone every 2-3 days for best results.

Back
Top Bottom