What breed of hens laid these eggs?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by JennyWren73, Aug 7, 2016.

1. JennyWren73

JennyWren73 New Egg

Aug 7, 2016
    Southern California
    I've read up about the different colored eggs that various breeds lay, but how about determining the culprit by the shape of her egg? I currently have two hens that started laying last month, a Gold Comet and a Rhode Island Red. There has been a consistent pattern: someone's laying the longer, slender eggs, and the other is laying more rounded ones. Sometimes they are almost the same color, but the shapes are distinctly different. Any helpful thoughts on this?

On a similar note, I have two younger girls not laying yet: a Welsummer and a Blue-Laced Wyandotte. I understand that the Welsummer will have a very dark brown egg. Based on what I've been reading, it sounds like the color of the Wyandotte's eggs will be similar to the ones below, though. Do you think there's any chance that I'll be able to tell hers apart from the others based on shape and/or size?

[​IMG]

2. chickluvinfreak

chickluvinfreak Chillin' With My Peeps

I don't know how to tell the breed of a chicken by the shape of their eggs. But I did have a RIR once whose eggs where more pointy like the one on the left. I usually get rounder eggs from orpingtons and Plymouth rocks, never have had a gold comet before. I'm not sure if a comets build is similar to those breeds. It's interesting trying to figure out who layed which egg. If you spend enough mornings in the coop you eventually learn who :)

Last edited: Aug 8, 2016
  3. JennyWren73

JennyWren73 New Egg

Aug 7, 2016
    Southern California
    This is helpful -- I've actually been suspecting the RIR of the pointier ones, but didn't want to give that away in my initial post. :) It'd just be nice to know who's laying what for health reasons. Thanks!

4. chickluvinfreak

chickluvinfreak Chillin' With My Peeps

No problem :)

5. Cel45

Cel45 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 28, 2015
    Houston, Tx
    i think it is not necessarily the breed, but the individual. I have two Production Reds and one lays a darker more skinny egg and one lays a lighter beige fatter egg. I only knew who by seeing who laid which egg.

1 person likes this.
  6. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    I have noticed the same thing, actually [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  7. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    agree

1 person likes this.
  8. hdowden

hdowden Overrun With Chickens

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana
    Our RIR layed the right eggs and all of the sex linked eggs I have ever seen where the light shade on the left.

1 person likes this.
  9. SueT

SueT Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2015
    SW MO
    If you do some detective work, and manage to be there as a hen leaves the nest, you can begin to learn who lays what.

1 person likes this.
  10. hdowden

hdowden Overrun With Chickens

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana
    You can also take food coloring and place one color per bird on/in the vent and when they lay the color will transfer to the egg. Needs to be redone every 2-3 days for best results.

2 people like this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by